We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Orlando including a coeliac traveller

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
5 posts
Save Topic
First visit to Orlando including a coeliac traveller

We are planning a trip to Florida in January for our family (2 adults, 2 girls 6 & 8) which theme parks do people recommend and how long should we look at staying? Disney & Legoland are on the list but thinking if universal should be added? I'm also a coeliac does anyone know how easy it is to get gluten free meals at the parks? We are travelling from Australia so this would be the only trip for our girls while they are young so we want to do it right.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Orlando including a coeliac traveller

Most restaurants have menu items marked Gluten free but don't be afraid to ask if you aren't sure.

Universal is way nicer than Legoland with much more to do but Legoland is particularly great for kids under 10. Universal includes 2 parks; Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Remember that Disney is actually 4 parks and 2 waterparks. Magic Kingdom is the iconic park with Cinderella's castle; it takes about 2 days to really see everything. The other 3 parks are Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom.

As such it takes 4-5 days to do just the Disney parks, not including the waterparks. It takes just a day to do Legoland and at least two days to do the Universal parks. I would recommend planning to stay for at least 2 weeks to give you time to settle in, hit the theme parks, shop, explore some of the other tourist areas like Downtown Disney, and take a day trip nearby to somewhere like the beach or Celebration.

UK
Level Contributor
227 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Orlando including a coeliac traveller

Absolutely agree. you do get a chance to go to Legoland, then great- it is pretty cool with a few rides and themes constructed out of Lego such a American cities and a Star Wars scenes, really good. But there is a lot more to do at the 2 universal parks so if this is a one off trip, I would prioritise universal. Food-wise, we're plant based so I know how limiting things can be but the parks are good at trying to cater for people's needs and as advised, just ask as Guest Services can advise where is best for you.

I hope you have an amazing time

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Orlando including a coeliac traveller

Thank you I appreciate your reply and will think about that in our planning.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 11:42
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
614 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Orlando including a coeliac traveller

Mrs Naughtysmurf is a coeliac, we found it not to be a big problem, just ask your server, they are very helpfull, they don't bat an eyelid when you ask for a burger without the bun.

She does bring her own bread / crackers / snacks, you are allowed to bring these into the parks

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Orlando including a coeliac traveller

Here's a helpful article about gluten free at Disney:

http://allears.net/din/guestceliac.htm

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Orlando including a coeliac traveller

Thanks for the link I had a look at will make sure I do as they suggested. Thanks again everyone for your replies.

7. Re: First visit to Orlando including a coeliac traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:16