We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

Ledgewood, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

Hi everyone. I have a few Disney dining reservations in a few weeks. We're not on the dining plan as we're staying off-site and it wasn't an option.

My question is in regards to the child pricing.

I have read across various websites while doing research that for the character buffet's the child does not need to pay the buffet price but can actually order items off a child menu ala carte' and pay for those items individually. Supposedly you just need to ask when you're seated.

Is this correct from traveler experience on here? Does it vary from place to place?

Anyone ever heard of it?

I have a 3 year old, who would eat like 1 waffle and be good for breakfast. Same with dinner, just give him a hamburger / fries and he is happy. But since he is not free for the buffet, looking at the prices for some places of $18 for breakfast, to $26 for a child's dinner buffet it made me start looking at other options.

We currently have reservations as such places as Tusker House, Chef Micky's, Crystal Palace, 1900 Park Fare and Ohana over a 2 week stay but I may have to cancel some.

Thanks for the help!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

Il get shot down for this but if my little girl didn't eat much as a 3 year old id just say she was nearly 3 and she would eat for free! Id only feel like a cheat if my child was eating a proper plate full, it seems silly and a total waste of money to pay for barely any food.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

As far as I'm aware for kids 3 and over you pay the children's price for the buffet, there are no a la carte options at the buffets

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

I've never heard of that option. Most of the places you mentioned don't have a menu per se, just a list if dishes on the menu. All that the kid's buffet is is a few dishes that most kids eat(i.e mac and cheese and chicken nuggets) on a short buffet that they can reach themselves.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 00:13
Ledgewood, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

Thanks everyone so far. I think I saw this listed on http://allears.net/dining/

But I may read into it wrong.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 01:00
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

I see your point, but they only mean kids that are under three and are therefore free. You would have to pay for an extra item you ordered for them such as a milk, etc. Which isn't really true. We ordered a drink for our 2 year old at every buffet and were never charged. The only time you would be charged for a "free" child is at a menu restaurant and you ordered something for them from the menu.

Ledgewood, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

Thanks Kaya, that's kinda what I figured after I re-read it. Oh well. Never hurts to try to save some money where you can so I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

My son is 5 years old so obviously will be paying for his meals. I noticed on Ohana's dinner menu for example that it states 'Alternative children's selection available on request'

Not sure what this would consist of but I'm assuming the usual kids offerings of nuggets etc. I might not be happy paying $20 for nuggets but if it means my fussy eater will eat something and it allows us to have a meal we would like well I suppose it's the price we have to pay. 😃

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,377 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

Tusker House, Chef Micky's, Crystal Palace, 1900 Park Fare and Ohana are some pretty good, pretty fun places. I wouldn't skip any of them just because your child isn't going to get good value of the meal. The $100 to $130 you "waste" is a small amount compared to the total cost of the trip for two weeks. You shouldn't skip good places just for that. If you had three kids who ate like that, well maybe then, but I would look at the big picture.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,338 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

You can't order a la carte at a buffet,you pay full childrens price for a child 3 and over. And of course you shouldn't say your child is under 3 when the child is over 3. It may seem "silly" but I assume you are teaching your child to be honest so lying about something so trivial is not really a great idea. Character meals are not about the food anyway,its about meeting the characters.We could never get value from a character meal if we just considered how much we eat.

10. Re: Families with young children - Question on Disney Buffets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:16