We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Drive...is everything really far apart?

Sunny Gold Coast
Level Contributor
453 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
International Drive...is everything really far apart?

I want to stay on I-Drive and have been looking at the Rosen Plaza as it's near to the Pointe shopping outlet which is apparently nice, and I know there's a bus that goes up and down the street which we will be using, but when I look on googlemaps everything (restaurants namely) seem to be spaced REALLY far apart. Is this the case? I like to walk everywhere but would I be walking for 10 minutes between each restaurant or attraction?

We want to go to the Titanic Experience as well as just having a wander along the street to see what's there. We will also be shopping and eating dinner at Winter Park but we're getting driven there by a friend who lives right nearby to that area.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

From Pointe up to around wet n wild is over 2 miles and would take around 40 minutes to walk. Within that range are most of the main shops/restaurants etc on idrive.

Happily, idrive is just about the only street where walking is commonplace :0)

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

The Rosen Plaza is the last hotel before the Convention Centre, most of the restaurant's are up towards the Sand Lake Road end. There are several restaurants in the Pointe Orlando area, and a few within about a 15 minute walk, TGI, Bahama Breeze and Millers Ale House.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

It's a bit like the strip in Vegas everything looks really close until you start waking in the heat

You couldn't really call I Drive a "street" it's a very long very busy road but you can jump on the trolley if you want to live dangerously

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

Look up on Google MAPS

click on " Search Nearby " to locate attractions and businesses

along I Drive.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
854 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

The easiest thing to do on I-Drive is to buy a pass to the I-Ride Trolley. It goes from one end to the other and has many stops where you can get on and off as you please. Ride it and when you see something interesting, hop off at the next stop. The price isn't bad, and they run every 20 minutes or so. I'm not sure of their hours though, so you would want to check on that if you plan on being out very late.

http://www.iridetrolley.com/

London
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

We stayed at the Rosen Plaza for a few nights last Dec, and will probably stay there again this Dec (ask for a high floor so you can watch the fireworks)

It is the last hotel before the Convention Centre, making it very handy and walkable to Pointe Orlando, where there are shops, restaurants, cinema etc. It took us 5 mins to walk across. Its a lovely part of the I-Drive area.

The I-Ride Trolley bus has a stop right outside the hotel and this would be useful to you if you don't always fancy walking to restaurants on I-Drive as you can hop on and off when you see something you like. However, its a pleasant walk up the 'street' (ts not a street but a long wide road with mostly restaurants, bars, touristy shops etc).

I would say its a safe road to walk between the Convention Centre and going up as far as Sand Lake Road if looking for a place to eat/drink and I felt very safe walking around that area. Beyond S L Road IMO I don't think its too safe at night for a young lady to be walking.

You might like the night life up at City Walk Universal, but I'd get a taxi to and from there IMO.

Any more questions just ask away, as always someone on here to help.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,986 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

I-Ride trolley is OK if your travels (other than by driving, taxi, etc) are to be limited to the local International Drive area.

However, if you intend to go to, for example, Disney, a WalMart store, any "regular" shopping mall, Winter Park even(!) then I-Ride is of no use at all.

For both local trips on International Drive AND for these more distant travels, the city bus system, LYNX is the other option - it serves them all and more besides. And on Int. Drive itself, LYNX buses are quicker, more frequent, more comfortable and run for much longer hours - till after midnight on weekday evenings....

Read: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34515-c116996/Orland… for more details

London
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

OP was only asking about I-Drive scan.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,986 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

Yes, I did see that. Many people do, however want to go further even if they don't mention it, and mistakenly believe the only way is by expensive taxis and shuttles. To say nothing of travel before 8 am or after 1030pm if required. And I still maintain the greater frequency and comfort is a benefit, too.

London
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International Drive...is everything really far apart?

Again....I was only answering stevie re I-Drive. Had she asked for an alternative mode of transport around the Orlando/Florida area, then I would have left the reply in your extremely capable hands....and, as always, I bow down to your superior knowledge of the LYNX system.

I think we will always disagree on the rights and wrongs of buses vs. rental car around Florida, but that's just me. I was only answering her question, and didn't assume that she wanted to go further afield, even if she didn't mention it.