We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MK if already done Disneyland?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
MK if already done Disneyland?

Hi guys,

Do you think we would be wasting precious time if we spent a day at MK when we have already done Disneyland in Anaheim twice? We are first timers to Orlando and hoping to allocate 5 days total to parks including 1 day at Blizzard or Typhoon.

Thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

Personally, we decided not to do Disneyworld as we had been to Disneyland but I'm sure many on here would disagree. We spent lots of time at Universal which we loved. Maybe we'll try Disneyworld at some point, or we'll go back to Disneyland to save some money as the tickets were much cheaper ;)

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

I love Magic Kingdom, ive been to both MK and Anaheim and there is a lot more at MK. It all depends on how disney mad you are but I'd definitely do it, especially with it being your first time in Orlando

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
854 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

I think you should consider doing the MK, if for no other reason than to make the comparison for yourself. I've done both and would do both again. While there is a lot to do at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, you probably won't need to spend the entire day there. I guess you could, but just to be safe, you might want to have a secondary destination to go to if you run out of things you want to do at the water park.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

Look with limited time I think you can give it a pass. They are different around the world but whether that different I am not sure. Scale is usually the main change.

I would not avoid Disney all together though. 4 days at parks, the other 3 will take you time no problem. And there is universal as well.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

MK is completely different from Anaheim. Some of the rides are the same but the park is much bigger and has rides that the Anaheim park doesn't have space for. The whole experience of getting to MK is part of the magic, especially when you consider that Anaheim is smack dab in the middle of tourist town while MK is a monorail (or boat) ride away from the real world.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

There are differences. In the past, we have done 1/2 at MK and focused on the different rides and then went to another park. This trip we did most of a day there and again focused on the different rides and attractions. Once done with those we did a few things that are the same or very similar.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
340 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

If you're allocating 5 days, then it would stand to reason that you might want to try new parks and new rides.

Universals parks, Epcot and Animal Kingdom might give you some new scenery and rides to experience.

Magic Kingdom, whilst not a carbon copy of Disneyland is close, just larger and IMHO, not as good.

Space mountain is much better in DL as is Pirates of the Caribbean. MK doesn't have Indiana Jones or The Matterhorn, though it has the Seven Dwarves Ride.

It all depends on whether you want new experiences or want to relive some fond old ones.

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

I would say do MK, we have been to both.

The MK does have some different things to Anaheim, the castle is just amazing.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

I do both every year, but I do think Disneyland is better than the WDW Magic Kingdom...if you are crunched for time, then yes I think you can skip it, but know that you are missing out on some attractions that are unique to Florida. Even rides that have the same name are different between the parks.

If doing the Magic Kingdom is going to keep you from doing something that is entirely unique to Orlando, then yes I would give it a pass. If you already know you enjoy Disneyland, then you might want to go to MK because it is a good time too.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 15:41
Va
Level Contributor
10,907 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MK if already done Disneyland?

I don't think it is that much different that it would be worth while considering all the other options. If you have a park hopper, then it may be worth it if you have time. Why go to a park that is very similar when there are parks that you have never been to?