We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick TR and General Moan

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Quick TR and General Moan

Only back from Orlando 3 weeks and have been mulling for a while whether or not to post a brief review. I have been to Orlando about 6 times and in general we had a fantastic time but a couple of this things did bug me on this trip.

We flew over with Virgin after a short hop across from Dublin. The wait for the flight was short and the flight itself was very comfortable after getting a free upgrade due to overbooking. Of course if there is going to be one tv screen that is broken or faulty in any way you can bet I am going to get it...this time you could barely hear anything as the headphone connection was loose and the screen was so faded it was a struggle to see anything in any case.

Baggage and car hire (Budget) pick up was painless and swift with no attempt to upsell which was a bonus although it has to be said despite being a very new car it wasnt in top notch condition but more than good enough for what we wanted.

The villa that we hired privately was excellent in a great location about 10 min from Disney and had more than enough cutlery and essentials to keep a family of 10 going never mind us 3.

This is were my couple of main moans begin. I know that there are people on here who can see nothing wrong in Disney and are prepared to sell their children for a few extra hours in the parks but having gone round each of their parks (previous years i just picked and chose) I felt they were in many cases past their prime. I know they are doing a lot of work around the place but people come to these parks not just to buy presents but to enjoy the rides and a lot of the rides should have been sent to the scrap heap long ago. Even the new fantasy land was pretty poor when taken in comparison with what Universal have done with Harry Potter etc. In my honest opinion Disney are content in the knowledge that their name alone will sell their parks and that the drones will keep on coming.

Next - Universal Parks - Enjoyed these greatly and was good to see a bit of effort and creativity being shown in the design of both the lands and the rides...sure like Disney their are a few rides that could do with a bit of an overhaul or replacement but nothing like as many as Disney.

Parks out of the way we did a lot of siteseeing around the beaches, mount Dora and a wonderful nature cruise on the St Johns River (Blue Heron Cruises). This is something i would heartedly reccommend if you want to get a break and wind down a little.

Second and final moan. As I said I have been to Orlando many times and no what to expect with traffic etc BUT i have to admit that this time it was the worst i have ever seen it. The I4 was pretty much in gridlock 24/7 and the drivers on the roads looked like they had never learned to drive. I would like to think this was down mainly to foreigners but looking at the number plates im afraid not. Also noticed that when a cop was about to guide traffic (which was very rare) they were generally making themselves more of a nuisance. I prime example is the crossroads at the Premier Outlet mall at the bottom of I Drive. 1 Crossroads, no lights, 4 cops directing each lane of traffic at the same time all in the same direction and another 2 cops having a rest.

Right thats the moans over....Despite the above a very good trip would really recommend Virgin this time after having issues with them in the past and despite the moans already looking up for 2015.

Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

Couldnt agree more with you about Disney

Ely, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

I've had some thoughts along that line regarding Disney too. For that reason, when we go in October, we're going to do Disney first, before any of the other parks, as we think Universal will just be "shinier" and we were worried that Disney might be a little bit of a let down after Universal (although we are still excited about both . . . because, well, it's Disney :) )

3. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 May 2016, 00:29
Edited: 29 May 2016, 00:29
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

Thanks for taking the time to post, I'm glad you did, I love reading about other peoples experiences - quite often I pick up nuggets of info or ideas!

Sounds like you've had your fill of Disney - I think people can and do grow out of it. Not me I have to add, I love it more now than when I first went as a child! For me, I love the old rides, I think it's the nostalgia and I wouldn't like them to change the way Universal and Seaworld have over the years- I feel they are becoming more and more commercial. I could quite happily spend weeks in the Disney 'bubble'!

Sounds like the rest of your time you thoroughly enjoyed though!

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

I agree with you.

The hype surrounding WDW does not live up to the reality anymore.

And when you figure in the cost, it can be rather disappointing.

These days our Disney experiences are limited to the water parks, where we can get annual passes for around $100 pp and get two vacations out of them.

We're enjoying exploring other parts of FL.

Fch12 mentioned the Disney bubble- I think that is what people fall in love with- someone else taking care of all the details, no cooking, no driving, all the fantasy.

But I think for the money things should be fresher (like Soarin' needs refurbing).

My thought is that all the Disney worshippers should not be too upset with the rest of us.

When I choose not to go, it leaves more room for them ;)

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

I-4, near Disney, in July with gridlock. I don't think I could argue with that. Tourists and many locals that can't drive: I don't think I could argue with that either.

It is always nice to see an honest trip report. I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

Enjoyed reading your TR.

We fly out with Virgin in November and this will be our 7th trip, and decided to not to do Disney this time. We always have done in the past, but like the OP here, as it is quite expensive. However, we will miss a few rides in some of the parks!

We do have tickets for Universal and I am sure they will get used quite a bit. With not doing Disney, we can explore more places as we will have more time : - )

Roll on 85 days!

ajg

texas
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

Just my opinion. I have only been to MK once, when the girls were little, in 1999 Only MK, and not the other 3, as 2 I do not think were built yet. We would love to go and take them and grandkids next year. So to us, everything, even the old stuff, would be new to us. Some people, esp here from the USA, can not afford to go like other countries can. So I understand where you are coming from, but some poeple like us, we would not have seen most f it.

BUT!!!! I think now since so many people talk about it being run down, we may just skip Disney altogether and spend a bit more and do US and IOA only. Grandkids will be 9 and 14, so think having to pay so much for Disney on top of what US will cost, it would just not make us happy to spend so much of so much of it is old and worn down. but it would seem sad to not see MK at least once in their lives, but the cost for a day is bad enough.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,484 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

Woah ndw - I don't think anyone can describe Disney as "run down" and I would never dissuade people from visiting especially if they have never been before

Maybe people who have been to the Disney parks a few times are a tad jaded as things don't change a lot

No way should anyone say they won't visit for the first time because of someone's opinion

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please don't dismiss Disney because of a few negative reviews

Disney parks are awesome there's nothing like them especially the Magic Kingdom for young children

Edited: 13 August 2014, 18:26
Cheshire
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick TR and General Moan

Hi, if you are a regular to Orlando I'm sure you will tire of some of the rides. I took my daughter and son 10 years ago when they were 9 and 5 and we would have loved to have done the Jaws ride again having only done it once and now I hear we won't see the Clyde and Seamore show at Seaworld :-(