We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One for the locals. Sunrail

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
One for the locals. Sunrail

Looking forward to trying Sunrail to get to Winter Park from LBV.

Any where else on the line further North, close to a station, worth seeing?

Thanks

Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Special Offer
The Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Admission
53 reviews
from US$25.99*
US$29.29
Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

Not answering your question, but you do know, I hope, that the closest station to LBV is currently at Sand Lake Rd - the southernmost terminus, and not really anywhere near Lake Buena Vista.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

Downtown Sanford is nice but the station isn't in downtown Sanford like it is in downtown Winter Park. Plus, Winter Park is much nicer imo. A stop in downtown Orlando can be nice, especially if you use the free Lynx Lymmo service from the station to catch the Orange and then the Grapefruit line out to Lake Eola and Thornton Park. Still, Winter Park is the crowning jewel of the Sunrail line.

Pay attention to the schedules as the Sunrail only runs Monday through Friday and there is a break in the middle of the day when it stops running (it is a commuter rail so it is mainly for getting people to and from work in the morning and afternoon.)

Edited: 15 August 2014, 16:10
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

Thanks Seebeech.

Love Winter. Park but will certainly visit Lake Eola

Will watch the schedule.

SCAN60

Often drive to the Florida MallFlorida Mall area so will take Sunrail from there.Good to avoid the traffic on the 4.and not to have to find parking at Winter Park

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

The Lake Mary station is a couple of blocks from a small downtown area (restaurants and shops) they built a few years back. It's nice, although I don't know that I'd make a special trip for it if there are other options. Sanford lets you off in an industrial area, and I hear the Deltona station is in the middle of nowhere.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

Deltona is definitely in the middle of nowhere. It's a 100% commuter stop. There is absolutely nothing there or within walking distance.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

T hanks all.

Won't venture north of Winter Park!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

The Sunrail station near Sand Lake Road is a mile or more east of the Florida MallFlorida Mall, pretty close to the airport, which means a Sunrail extension to the airport may actually happen. If everything happens to work out, in 2017, the airport terminal might serve Sunrail, a proposed maglev train to International Drive (the Convention Center, to be exact), and passenger rail service to West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami.

There is political opposition to the private, for-profit Orlando-Miami rail proposal, so I'm not overly optimistic that it'll happen.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

I wouldn't give a maglev train any chance of actually happening. That guy has been plugging that train for 25 years and never come up with more than an oversized government funded toy. But hey, I'll bet the test track down in Oak Hill is still there waiting for more funding.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

I'd spotted this news story:

bizjournals.com/orlando/…

I admit to suspecting that if the maglev were built, it would mostly be a tourist attraction, with people riding it for the novelty.

10. Re: One for the locals. Sunrail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:17