We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance question

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance question

Don't know if I'm ok to ask this but here goes can anyone tell me if I will be able to get travel insurance for the US with a pre existing cancer diagnosis??? I've heard it's different rules because of the US health system has anyone ever done it??? If I'm going it will be after an all clear result and obviously celebratory holiday thanx in advance

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance question

Many policies will take this an all clear and an active treatment diagnosis. Stay sure, freedom insure. Macmillan site does have some links, as do most of the cancer specifics.

You will need to discuss your diagnosis and prognosis. If you are officially in remission this helps. You also have the choice to take insurance which excludes issues related to your cancer diagnosis. Risk is anything connected will be out of your own pocket. However if all clear this may be something you would go for.

If you are not insuring the whole party on the same policy then make sure that the insurer of the rest of the party is aware of your diagnosis as if you did need to cancel due to that reason then they will be able to claim.

Be prepared this can be expensive to get.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance question

Thanks for that I'm going to try the one I've just been with for a not her holiday oh I no it's going to be expensive one quote I got was £652!!! But it will be worth it for a Florida holiday thanks again x

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance question

I used to work for the co-op insurance and we covered anyone but not existing conditions. So the policy would cover you- eg if you broke your leg- but if you needed care due to the cancer it would not be covered. I assume some other insurers do the same. Probably a lot cheaper than getting a policy which does cover it? But a little riskier.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance question

I would only be going if my scans show all clear but id only feel comfortable being insured just in case!! Was just wondering if anyone on these forums have had any experience of it thanks for your help x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
835 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insurance question

Hi donkey.

First of all good luck on your scan results.

My DH had stage 3 bowel cancer in 2011, he was only 26 so even harder for insurance as they think if he can be that young once bla bla.

Anyway we found oktotravel to be the cheapest, and they covered his cancer and anything cancer related. off the top of my head I'm sure we paid £98 for a two week trip last may (16 months after treatment). Now though we get insurance through his bank which covers him as he has been clear over 2 years.

Also we went to egypt 3 months after he got the all clear and for a 10day trip it was about £140.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insurance question

Thanks jenna ive got that 1 written down now fingers crossed and thanks for your best wishes my trip will be very last minute god willing same day I get the results im booking lol hoping to be in Disney on the 30th of September!! Also well done your other half on his battle thanx again for your help x

7. Re: Insurance question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17