We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

I used to love the beginning of the holiday, Airport, shops, flying....but with 3 kids in tow (12,10 and 6) Im dreading the 9+ hours on the plane. How does everyone keep them happy, is the on board entertainment enough? Flying with Virgin economy, direct flight, from LGW 11:40am flight so doubt they will sleep....

I will be bringing an Ipad and another tablet with some of their fav movies on but just wanted to find out what everyone else does....thanks all

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
55 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Flying with Virgin atlantic will go a long way to keeping the kids happy they are excellent with children we nearly always try and fly with them, my youngest is autistic and they are fantastic with him. the in flight entertainment is very good, they also provide a little backpack that has some goodies in it. My kids when they were about that age also used to take along some prit stick or glue stickers, some plastic scissors (has to be plastic) and a scrap book and they would start to make a scrap book about their holiday and stick in stuff that they had got at the airport and drew pictures and things in it. that always kept them quiet and they also filled it out on the journey back with pictures and flyers and things they had picked up on the holiday. In fact my daughter found her one she did when she was about 4 years old the other day and we had great fun looking through it. (she is now 18). It all depends on what your kids like doing, if they are happy with the inflight entertainment the movies and games and stuff then they will be fine. I can't fault Virgin for flying with kids they are very very good.

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Lots of ideas, thanks all. They have their own bags which they will fill up with figures, rainbow looms (always a hit with DD) and other bits and bobs.

If they do start whinging, then I can always make them sit on the wing!! Actually I daren't, as when my 12yo was 4, he asked where the toilet was (on a flight from Spain) and I told him he had to go outside....he cried a lot hehe. Bad dad eh.

I like the idea of wrapping up some pressies for them to open every couple of hours....

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Linksmanmischief.....wow, that sounds like a lot of hard work to keep children entertained :-)

London
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Fifer......a son to be proud of :o))

We were lucky that when our kids were small they always used to fall asleep for a few hours after the meal.

They're well into their 30's now and when, for any reason, they are in the back of my car, they still tend to nod off lol

Must be the motion.

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,453 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

How well do they cope sitting on the couch and messing around on the internet for hours? They're just going to do that in the air. If they get antsy,remind them of that. ;+))

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Oh we are about to travel with 21mth old and 3yo so is suspect your flight will be easier than ours!! Also with Virgin! Like the previous post we have planned a bag of goodies to use more so for our 21mth old as I believe the 3yo will be more than entertained with her own tv. Stickers, colouring book, pipe cleaners, glue, paper, magazines, mr potato head, iPad for when we desperate, snacks mainly sugar free, more so hoping he sleeps a few hours but I'll be lucky to get an hour or two!! I am very apprehensive about noise he could make and disturbance but I will be trying my hardest to keep him from this! So I'm in hope of some sympathetic neighbours on the plane!

I believe food and snacks and iPods and games for yours would be great, the films/tv virgin play look great - swap your two for mine lol - good luck

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,551 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Just get up and take them a walk around the plane for a bit

I think it's the sitting in a confined space for 9hrs that's the worst I know it drives me mad

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Personally, I'd like to thank the OP for bringing this up in general.

Just flown many flights to/from/within the US and seen lots of parents who were badly prepared and somewhat useless. Saw a few well prepared ones too.

Having just flown I can say 100% the OP will have no problem. As the inflight systems are fine for them/ So much to see and games to play. Have an Ipad or 2, then you ARE LAUGHING, Plus I flew with kids before the IFE age, and after so actually know lol.

As for younger ones, IFE and an Ipad help. As will remembering to make sure their ears canals are fine with eating/drinking during takeoff and landing- biggest cause of infant discomfort is change in air pressure. Then sleep/wake cycle. Keep them on a schedule to fit in with your flights so they sleep? Or bring a mild baby sedative such as phenergan for emergencies.

small interesting things to eat/drink/play with- wrapped for delayed gratification also help.crayons, stickers, matchbox cars, raisins- the list is endless.

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Hi Claire, Nah you're ok to stick with yours lol.

To be honest, no one WANTS a screaming baby on a flight most of all the parents of that baby. It really does wind me up when I see posts that berate parents for having to put up with a flight with a screaming child. I have been on several flights sitting next to women with babies and I often help out as I do remember what its like. For those that don't have or don't remember how hard it is, I can understand the frustration, but what can you do....

I will be preparing a goodie bag, 3 I pads (although one of them is my DW for her greys anatomy), and with the IFE I think we will be ok. We take off a 11.40 so I doubt they will sleep.

Good luck Claire, those ages aren't fun on a long haul, but as you say hopefully you will have someone like me next to you to lend a helping hand :-)

Yay my 100th post lol

Edited: 21 August 2014, 08:08
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Flying with Kids, keep them amused etc

Thank you! I'm sure I won't be the only one on the flight in a similar situation - fingers crossed I'm worrying for nothing! I normally love the flight this is the first time I can't get excited!

Our flight is at 1100 next weds from Manchester. Have a great flight and even better holiday!