We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

Having visited Florida on 8 previous occasions, i have always hired a car and drove lots and lots of miles all over the state. I have never visited Key West and ive only stopped off I-10 for gas at Tallahassee on my way from Pensacola. I really want to visit one or the other or both. Im travelling with my wife and my twin 13 yr old sons next June and will be in based in Orlando Florida for 15 days. Ive always liked the laid back, hedonistic atmosphere of the "conch" republic., but was wondering if there is much to do for a family? or should i visit Tallahassee instead? I would love to visit as its the state capital and i would like "Old Florida" with oak trees draped in moss canopied roads, the old historic centre and the "southern" style hospitality. I could even visit Monticello or Thomasville as well. Considering my boys get bored at times, im wondering which itinerary would be more suitable and if a 1 night stay would do either area justice?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
876 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

I'm partial to Key West myself. Going there in October. Check out the Key West forum on this web site and you will find there are a ton of things to do there. Actually, a day trip isn't anywhere near enough time. The overseas highway ride is awesome.

pa
Level Contributor
54,209 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

You need a few Days, not an overnighter, if you plan to visit Key West, it is the better choice between the two options, IMHO of course but you need more time

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

Key West is an 8 hour drive from Orlando. You will want at least 3 days, 2 in Key West and 1 in the middle or upper keys. More if you really want to see and experience the keys. We like to stay in either Marathon or Islamorada and make day trips to the rest of the keys. However Key West has some historical and interesting places plus the sunset celebration is great if you have never been so an overnight there would be a good idea.

It would not be practical to try and do both Key West and Tallahassee. However if you should decide to do Tallahassee you could also visit St. Augustine which is very historical and about 2.5 hours from Tallahassee.

Level Contributor
120 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

1 night wont do it. Took us 4 days and we could have taken longer. So much to see with everglades, shark valley, shopping, key largo, key west etc etc

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,167 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

I'd also head south toward The Keys. More time to explore the area would be ideal. if you do make it a day trip, Make sure you have a destination AND a backup in mind.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,305 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

I like your idea of exploring the small towns and byways that most tourists bypass, but I am concerned that the kids will become bored. You may have better luck going to the Keys (even though it is a 7-8 hour drive). That trip might have broader appeal. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/byways/2555

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

Please don't waste your time in Tallahassee. I have to visit for trainings from time to time and there is absolutely no comparison between Tally and Key West. Tally is a backwoods country town with a capitol building and lots of attorneys and college students. Key West annihilates Tally every time with its beaches, sunsets, and laid back island lifestyle. However, you will need at least two nights in the Keys to make the drive worth it.

St. Augustine is much more family friendly and its historic district is perfect for a day trip. It's the oldest continually occupied European city in the U.S. You will definitely experience Florida hospitality there and your kids will love the old fort, pirate museum, and nightly ghost tours. http://www.floridashistoriccoast.com (For true Southern hospitality you have to leave Florida for Savannah or Charleston as Florida isn't considered part of the true South.)

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

Your kids will absolutely be bored in Thomasville or Monticello.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,012 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

Key West is way, way too far. I'd look at St. Augustine or maybe Fort Myers.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight trip whilst in Orlando, Tallahassee or Key West?

Make some time and stay in the Keys. It is not an overnight trip.

I would also read some of the posts on the Key West forum. It is a very fun, safe place, but if you are the very conservative type, you may want to research before booking, especially with kids.