We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo car rental insurances

UK
Level Contributor
231 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo car rental insurances

Have booked a 11 day holiday with Thompson which included 'free car hire'

Although the shop tried to heavily sell us the optional gold insurance at £30 a day......even going as far to say we did'nt get the free car unless we took the additional insurance !!

But being insistent that the extra insurance was optional we were allowed to book the holiday plus free car.

I've checked online and can hire a better car cheaper that the insurance cost they we're going to charge but I have got 'free car hire' so plan on taking it

I will need to take out the additional insurances when I pick up the car, does anyone know how much this will be? We have the basic insurance as part of the hire but need to take out the CDW etc

Thanks in advance mickey

Edited: 20 August 2014, 11:58
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo car rental insurances

Your CDw is $24.99 per day, sli is $12.44 a day, personal effect,belongings $8, roadside $4.99

Then you need to decide on fuel and additional drivers. Gold covers most if not all of these would need to check. Your £30 a day is not too far off the mark. However you may be as well just doing a complete new booking as the free car is anything but that.

These rates were on lowest category as you did not specifiy. There are airport user fees, etc which get added also on top of free car. Gold may include those also.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 12:13
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
16,201 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo car rental insurances

Hi Micky and Derek.

There will be sales tax (6.5%) on some of that too maybe. I agree, no such thing as a 'free' rental car, cost up a direct booking with a broker or Alamo.co.uk/brits and see how that works out.

I'm only paying £18 a day all ( includes additional drivers) in with Alamo for my 16 days in December.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 12:52
UK
Level Contributor
231 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo car rental insurances

Thanks for the reply, looks like the £30 wasn't too bad but still would be worth hiring a totally independent car as Thompson was a basic compact but I can get a 'prestige' for less than they quoted.

Funny how. Of all the world on TA I get a response from someone 12 miles from my home.!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,286 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo car rental insurances

I would get the insurances before you leave as you will pay more if you get them when you collect your car?

5. Re: Alamo car rental insurances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 05:17