We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning vs. Non-Planning

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
982 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Planning vs. Non-Planning

I might have inadvertently created a planner last night:

As many of you may know, I am a very thorough planner - especially for my Orlando trips. Younger friends of ours are heading to Disney in December for the first time and they came over for advice. The wife wants to plan ahead with an itinerary and the husband does not. We were trying to meet half way until I explained it like this:

What is going to make this a successful trip? Is it for your children to see all of the attractions, characters and experiences they want to see - or - is this a relaxing, sit by the beach and pool and "see what you can" type of trip? When the answered that it was for the kids, I told them they need to make a checklist of all things they want to see and do. I recommended they place them in three categories of 1) Must See 2) Really Want to See 3) Wouldn't Mind Seeing. Then, I told them that I could put this checklist, based on their priorities, in an order that could guarantee they see all of their "Must Sees" and "Really Want to Sees" and most of their "Hope to Sees" based on how many days they will spend in the parks. Their very Top 3 "Must Sees" will become their FastPasses and everything else will work around that.

Planning is basically a checklist put in order of priorities and least amount of energy to accomplish (ie avoid waiting in lines).For others who prefer the latter to have a successful trip, their plan is to have no plan.

My sister is not a planner. When she comes back from Disney and I ask her how she liked this or that, she replies: "Where was that?". But she enjoys Disney and Universal just as much as I do.

But last night, I created a Planner!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,694 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

Most plan, but some don't. But, what is your point?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

Those who can't plan (because they dont have a trip in the works) Teach others to plan! Good job, their kids will probably have a better Dis experience in part becauuse of you!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

Those who can't plan (because they dont have a trip in the works) Teach others to plan! Good job, their kids will probably have a better Dis experience in part because of you!

I really liked the way you explained it to the Dad and won him over!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

I'm sorry Vic I thought it was quite clear:

Hopefully for anyone out there who is undecided on how to appoach their trip in regards to planning 180+ days for ADR, 30/60+ days for FP+ and following iteneraries, answering the question of "what will make this a successful trip" will help them decide if and how much they need to plan.

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,911 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

Sorry OP, but I'm struggling to understand what your post is all about.

As Vic states some people plan others don't....that's it really.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,934 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

I think, esp with the new FP+ planning fo some sort is now essential.

but if you do all your must see's and your really want to sees then you can just relax and wing it. which is why I have Always been a get to a park for opening type. I dont like to spend long in line, and I want value for money.

If I want to really and take it easy, I dont go to a theme park.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,976 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

First time - plan a bit

Otherwise - wing it

It's a holiday enjoy it - don't worry be happy (and flexible)

As for booking somewhere to eat 180 in advance - no thanks - I don't even know what were having for dinner tonight

Cheshire
Level Contributor
812 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

Hi

I'm with Susie. You are on vacation do what you want when you want. Chill and just go with the flow. Eat when you are ready to eat and what you fancy. I tried the planning, never works.

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
651 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

We planned a little for our first visit.

In hindsight, I wish I had planned a lot more as we came home not having visited a few places we wanted to.

Had we planned more we would have achieved more.

To us, Orlando isn't a relaxing holiday. Too much to do and see. We go to Spain to relax

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning vs. Non-Planning

Quote :- "You are on vacation do what you want when you want."

But...if you decide to do what "you" want "when" you want & you can't get in because it's booked up???

Just playing devils advocate, as most on here have been loads of times so can "wing it"

Those that are going for the first time, might just be advised to plan a little:-)

We "always" have a plan. A very loose plan, but a plan non the less:-):-):-)

I ask the children what we mustn't miss, add what DW & I mustn't miss, then work out from there.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 21:04