We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wizarding World of Harry Potter during Chrismas?

Louisville, Kentucky
3 posts
Save Topic
Wizarding World of Harry Potter during Chrismas?

My family and I were wanting to go to Universal Orlando during Christmas break this year (Between the days of December 23-31 probably.) My mother, sister, and I are all in school, so the only break we have at the same time is Christmas. I looked at the crowd calender on orlandoinformer.com and it says this time is "very busy." We would really like to avoid extreme crowds and waits and I was wondering if anyone had been to The Wizarding World during this time. Is it worth going during this time? Are there ways to avoid the massive crowd? Do they do anything special for the holidays?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter during Chrismas?

You are definitely going to avoid it being "very busy" at your chosen dates:-):-)

Because it's going to be very, very, very busy:-(:-(

Especially now Gringotts has opened, I suspect queues will be huge..

The only way to make it a little less "painful" would be to stay on site, therefore (depending on which resort you choose) get early entry & EP's.

You can't use EP's at HP, as that's only early entry, but it will help on other rides:-):-)

Good luck;-);-)

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter during Chrismas?

Hi Alexis, welcome to the Forum.

Christmas is the busiest time of the entire year in Orlando. Indeed, the parks are very, very busy. Personally, I wouldn't want to go anywhere near the new Harry Potter in Universal Studios at Christmas time. While no one has a crystal ball, if this Christmas mirrors the Christmas following the opening of the original section in Islands of Adventure, then you can expect waits just to get into the section and a multi-hour line at the new Gringotts ride.

If you are adamant about going then I would strongly recommend staying at one of their original three hotels so you get Unlimited Express pass entrance or buying a ticket bundle which includes Express pass in order to reduce your ride wait times. Express is not good for the two main Harry Potter rides; however, it will help you get through the rest of the park with ease.

Universal does have some special Christmas things notable Grinchmas at Islands of Adventure and a parade featuring some of the balloons from the Macy's Thanksgiving parade at Universal Studios. More info on their website.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter during Chrismas?

We have been to Florida 6 times and always do Disney and Universal. The last time, the grandparents were paying for the family reunion, so we decided on Christmas in FL. Believe me, I will never go back to the Parks during this time ever again. Even if I have the pleasure of being in Orlando during a future Christmas season, I will spend my time doing "anything else". And my wife and I are Disney addicts. Imagine Black Friday at WalMart X 100.

And you are paying hundreds of dollars to experience this pain.

That being said, early December was awesome. August not bad (just hot). Spring break was even a breath of fresh air compared to Christmas.

Louisville, Kentucky
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter during Chrismas?

Thanks for the helpful reply! We've decided we are definitely not going at this time.

Louisville, Kentucky
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter during Chrismas?

Yes, it would pain me as well to spend all that money on an awful time! Thanks for the reply

6. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter during Chrismas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:15