We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch worries

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch worries

Hello all,

i'm concerned about the Monarch situation regarding long haul flights. We've have booked (6 of us) for next August flying PE with Monarch i'm worried that either they will cancel our holiday or change airlines without PE, which we really wanted. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch worries

What makes you think that

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch worries

I don't know if anyone can help but there is an Air Travel forum where folks can possibly advise :)

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch worries

Thanks for that, i've posted on there as well

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,950 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch worries

did you book with a credit card as recommended? did you book anything extra like a car or hotel so you are abtol bonded?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch worries

We booked a package with cosmos through thomas cook and have already paid in full, so am a little concerned

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch worries

Well it's true that Monarch are pulling out of long haul from next spring. But as to what they will do with pre existing bookings, you'll just have to wait and see. There's no scope to cancel and get a full refund based on the current info.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch worries

My Father was talking about this yesterday, Apparently they are only keeping two aircraft running to do the longhaul flights for the next year. Its a shame an old company is struggling to keep afloat, I went with them on my first trip to Orlando in 1989 and that same aircraft is just about to be retired!

Id call them and ask, im sure they will have something planned already, Cosmos must also have an idea seen as they use Monarch for all their longhaul flights as well.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch worries

Imonarch are a charter airline who's services would have been employed by cosmos to put together the package, particularly as you have booked via Thomas Cook you will still be covered if thing go wrong but as Monarch are purely a charter I'm guessing that Cosmos will charter another airline for the flight if Monarch aren't available to fulfil it. It's a completely different situation to the XL Airways disaster, the responsibility is with Thomas Cook and Cosmos to get you there not Monarch as they are just a supplier to the your operator. I doubt very very much that Thomas Cook or Cosmos would just cancel their Long Haul offering it's more likely you'll be flying Thomas Cook.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch worries

Thanks all for your help. Spoke to Thomas Cook today and they apparently don't know anything about it, also spoke to Monarch who assured me that we will be going on our holiday(phew) and nothing has been decided yet and if they do pull their planes from long haul flights that they will charter another airline. Looking through the Cosmos brochure i see that they fly Virgin and BA out of peak season so hopefully we'll be flying Virgin. Just hope they honor the PE which we paid for.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,268 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch worries

Hi Robert, not sure what you paid to upgrade to premium with Monarch but we have been offered upgrades to PE on our outbound flight to Orlando with VA in October for.....£566 each!!! No thank you!!!!