We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with my nephew

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KINROSS
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
traveling with my nephew

Hi we travel to Orlando in November and we will be taking my nephew with us however I am just a bit concerned as my nephew has a different surname to everyone else in the party that is travelling. Do we need to take any specific documents with us to confirm that his mother is happy for him to travel with us. Would hate to get there and then get turned back. Thanks

Leeds
Level Contributor
766 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with my nephew

Hi

Yes you will need a letter confirming you have the parents permission to take him if under 18.

I'd suggest you also take a photocopy of the parents passport or driving license with matching signatures to the letter.

KINROSS
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with my nephew

thats great thanks. Does the letter need to come from his mother or will it need to come from a solicitor? Thanks

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,416 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with my nephew

"Yes you will need a letter confirming you have the parents permission to take him if under 18."

The letter should also authorize you to make decisions regarding any needed medical treatment.

"thats great thanks. Does the letter need to come from his mother or will it need to come from a solicitor?"

My guess is that the mother's notarized signature should be fine.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with my nephew

The permission needs to come from legal guardian, all parties assuming under 18. Father should be agreeable also if there is any legal guardian status and if he would have any objection.

I would also have contact information for mum just in case. I accept that sounds silly but if mum is in tenerife and cannot be got hold of should there be any issues. Also note the 5 hour time difference.

You may also need to complete a different customs form for him as I assume he resides at a difference address.

There will be as much scrutiny in the UK before leaving as will be on arrival. Seen this happen twice but do not be alarmed if taken off to the secondary screening process in MCO, obviously you will be able to go with him should it happen.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
260 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling with my nephew

I'm not sure they do notary in the UK. We took my wife's cousin to England with us a couple years ago and the only people who questioned us were were the Virgin check in reps at LGW (before they bumped us to BA due to overbooking). We took a letter just Incase.

Today make sure you cover your bases I would suggest 2 letters: 1. Letter from both parents (same letter fine) authorizing you to take their child out of the country. 2. Consent to medically necessary treatment. If medical care was needed for any reason other than emergencies, the facility will need a consent to treat form filling out. They only allow parents/guardians to sign. If you take a letter authorizing you to seek all medically necessary treatment, most providers will work with you being that you're not from he area.

Hints: list everyone specifically by name. Include destination and dates. Include valid contact information for both parents for verification purposes. Date the letter. Have a witness or too sign the letter with their contact information.

With the Frequent abductions you can't be too safe. Chances are you'll have no trouble, but you're making a good plan by trying to prevent possible issues.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling with my nephew

Hi

I did this with my daughter who was under 18 at the time into New York and I was divorced from her mother.

I got her mother to write a letter agreeing for me to take her out of the UK to the USA with dates included and that I had total control over her well being for medical treatment.

We got this witnessed by a solicitor.

I had the letter with me when I entered immigration and offered it to the officer but she did not want it and said it was ok. However I did the right thing and it is up to immigration how far they wish to push the issue.

So better safe than sorry to have proof that you can take him with you!

Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling with my nephew

I went to America with a family I didn't share a surname with, the only issue we found was when we landed back at Gatwick they said a letter was needed from one of my guardians to prove they hadn't taken me without consent.

When you check in for your flight make sure he's seated with you! I was under 16 when I travelled and was still stuck between two strangers all the way home!

KINROSS
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling with my nephew

Thank you so much everyone i really appreacite all your help. I suppose the only issue we have is his Father. Although he is named on his birth certifacte he has nothing to do with his son and we have no way of contacting him as we do not know where he stays. Do you think that this will cause us issues?

KINROSS
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling with my nephew

Thanks Abby2110 he is only 3 years old so i would hope that they would sit him next to us LOL

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traveling with my nephew

No Issues, only mentioned it in case he would object. sounds like he wont so ignore