We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

Burgess Hill...
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

I've been looking for fee-free atm's in and around Orlando. It seems there is a wide variety of charges (unlike in the UK, where the majority of ATM's are free to withdraw cash).

Does anyone have experience of ATM fees (not talking about what the card issuing bank's fee).

In particular, I will be using the Halifax Clarity Card to withdraw cash as this offers no additional fees other than interest.

So anyone know where there are fee-free ATM's in orlando?

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

Gas stations are good locations for fee free atm's.

Whatever you do, don't use the atm at LBV Factory Stores, it charges something stupid like $18

Quigley's Point...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

Check with your bank ...I'm sure it's 1.5% charged by the bank in the uk plus the rate of exchange may not be great ??you may be better taking cash or using a credit card for purchases and pay in full on your return Saga and Halifax clarity do not charge you for using them ..you also get the money market rate

Annie

Edited: 29 August 2014, 00:34
Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

I have read that you can find ATMs in certain Supermarkets (Publix?) which are fee-free. I can't say I would get unduly concerned about typical ATM fees, amounts such as $2.75 per transaction, but that's me.

Banbury, UK
Level Contributor
226 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

I have used the Halifax Clarity Card in Orlando. I did ask the Halifax before I left of any partners they might have to avoid the charge but my branch had no idea. Never found a free ATM but you are advised of the fee when you use the machine and I would suggest drawing out the maximum amount possible each time you use it. You also pick up another fee in the UK for withdrawing cash when you receive your statement. The card was accepted everywhere when using it as a credit card and you get a better a rate so as the holiday went on I used less cash and more credit, this way you avoid both the fees.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,358 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

Any WalMart will give you up to $100 cash back per transaction- no charge.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

" I can't say I would get unduly concerned about typical ATM fees, amounts such as $2.75 per transaction, but that's me."

I agree. When put into perspective, it's less than 1% on a $300 withdrawal. I see it as an unavoidable cost of international travel.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
275 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

Publix and Wawa (gas station chain rapidly expanding in the area) both have fee free ATMs. Cash back is always an option too depending on how much you want.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

Use a cc for purchases and a debit card to get out cash.

As far as publIx, mine charges $2 at the atm

Quigley's Point...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

Clarity card is a credit card so not a good idea to get cash out on them ...use for purchase debit card for cash

Halifax do not have any banks or partners in the US so they wouldn't know how much a ATM will charge you

We take some cash and use fee free credit cards and as I said earlier pay in full when our statement arrives

Annie

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM Fees when using a UK card in Orlando

Just in case if there's any barclays customers they do have an agreement with bank of america so its free to use their atms for barclays bank account holders.

Also look at Allpoint website, they give you location of their surchare free atms.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 18:14