We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report 3

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
trip report 3

Woke at 530 today, told myself it was too early and went back off until 7. We all got showered and dressed and had breakfast at the hotel.

Left the hotel at 815 and walked to universal, stopping off at walgreens on the way. Were at universal by 0855, so probably took us half an hour to actually walk.

Universal studios was actually really quiet, I had been dreading the crowds today as someone had said that because it's a public holiday the parks will be rammed, they were wrong! The longest queue I saw all day was 90 mins for escape from gringotts, the rest of the rides were 10-20 mins.

We did all the rides, except for ET and the kids woody rollercoaster. I volunteered DH to play a part on 'disaster' which I think he secretly loved ;).

Diagon alley is just amazing, I am not a harry potter fan, but even so the attention to detail is out of this world, and the ride is fantastic just indescribable.

Left universal at 4 and got a taxi back home, only $6.40! So I gave $9 because I got confused haha.

Had a dip in the rooftop pool and had some snacks and drinks, then my brother decided he HAD to go and buy a tablet from target! Off to target we went, but they wouldn't price match the tablet to the walmart price because the price online was different. Me and DH managed to spend $160!!! On what? God knows haha bought a few tshirts and some sweets. My brother only ended up spending $30!!

Then off to dennys for tea, food was gorgeous, bill was $30 incl 20% tip. Service was really good.

In bed now, so tired! Off to islands of adventure tomorrow :)!

Oh also, is it just me or are american drivers quite rude? I can be indicating to go over to a lane and I'm sure the purposely speed up. It's happened to me so many times it can't just be a coincidence?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report 3

We went to Universal today too,i couldnt believe how quiet it was. The longest we waited was 20 minutes for Transformers. I managed to do the Mummy twice both times walking straight on,it was great lol!

And no,its not just you re the American drivers,although i think its more Orlando drivers,as i havent found it as bad in other areas. They dont like to give way,but its ok for them to cut in,and indicators,what are they? They dont seem to know how to use them. And you’ll find if you go on the Interstate,they will drive literally bumper to bumper,no such thing as a safe distance here! 😃

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report 3

In response to your question, if someone has their indicator on for 10 minutes before trying to change lanes I know they're a slow, clueless driver and no, I don't want them in front of me! So yes, people may be gunning it so you'll get behind them if you're that type of driver.

I think it depends what you're taught. I was taught to put your indicator on only after you've identified the appropriate opening you can make it into quickly and comfortably. (Unless it's standstill traffic and you have to indicate long in advance hoping someone will let you in.) It seems to me that some people have been taught to just leave their indicators on and wait for someone to create a space for them because a number of people seem to drive like that. And when I let people like that in front of me I usually end up regretting it.

I'm really interested to find out what driving in the UK is like because it sounds like it must be very different based on a lot of people's reactions to Orlando.

St.Helens,United...
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report 3

You did really well with thd park got to do everything and even did more spending lol Enjoy IOA tomorrow look fwd to your reports

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report 3

Beautifulboston, I'm not even just talking about the highway, the other day coming out of the outlets I had to get in the left hand lane, the lights were on red so I indicated to go over do the person in the other lane moved right up to the next persons bumper to purposely not let me in? Then the next person did the same. I was fuming haha, eventually i managed to cut over, presumably a polite English person let me in haha! Oh and also I'm not a slow clueless driver, I actually find the speed limits to slow over here and keep having to remind myself to slow down! (Actually I may be clueless 😉)

Tinker, it was great wasn't it!! We did the mummy twice to haha, its our fave ride :)! Did u manage to do gringotts?

weirhammer, always room for more spending ;)!

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report 3

Beautifulboston, not sure how its taught in the US but we are taught mirror, signal, manoeuvre. In other words, check behind you and identify that its safe to change lane or turn, signal your intention and only then start to move. The indicator is supposed to indicate to people what you intend on doing- if you're already changing lanes when you turn it on then I already know what you're doing!

Or anyway that's the theory- there's more than enough bad drivers here who don't follow that. Indicating too early is annoying but not as bad as not indicating at all! I would rather know that the car in front me of is thinking about pulling out than have a complete surprise when it does.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
848 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report 3

Thanks for the great trip report I'm glad it wasn't busy at universal studios hope it stays wuiet like this in October when I'm there

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report 3

I am american and will say, yes Drivers CAN be rude that way.

Was in Ohio for a wedding a few weeks back, had niece with me and she said to get in wrong lane. 20 cars past me with my turn signal on and would NOT let me over- and one even contained someone I knew lol. It happened abt 5 times over 4 days. One lady in a monster SUV refused to let me over even though I was almost one length ahead (but wasn't willing to play chicken with her). She even beeped at me the bloody cow ;)

In FL people (incl me) let people over more often. AS many people are tourists so we know they dont know always where they are going.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report 3

Exactly, morror signal manoeuvre. Oh well, different country, crazier rules 😂😂

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report 3

Maybe there's a misunderstanding here. I agree that not signaling at all is bad, but I was taught that you signal right before you change lanes when you've already found a big enough space to move into. Not expect people to "let you over" unless, as I said, it's bumper to bumper traffic and that's the only way to get in. Otherwise you just wait until the flow of traffic creates a big enough space for you to move over quickly and decisively without slowing anybody down. But yes, you signal and check behind before you move into it. See the space, put on the signal, then move! Not put on the signal when there's not a big enough opening, then wait for someone to slow down for you. But again, if traffic's not moving the situation's different.

When trying to turn, if I can't make it over before a turn I generally just take the next turn instead of trying to force myself in. That happens a lot in Boston.

Good to know you've got the speed thing down, Jenna! Enjoy IOA!

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report 3

Another great day and a TR Jenna, had to search for you though, you were relegated to page 4 lol! Don't worry my inane rambling comment will bump you into prime position again!

So glad to hear that queues are not crazy now and I hope it continues for the next 6 weeks, 90 minutes for Escape to Gringotts sounds bearable!