We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Topic
Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

My 17 year old daughter suffers terribly from motion sickness on simulators- she was even sick on Jimmy Neutron.

Last year we gave soarin a miss because of this. However I have heard great reports of it and would really like to do it when we go back next year.

How likely is it to make her sick. How does it compare to Star Tours eg or some of the other simulators.

Thanks

Jackie

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

Soarin was mild compared to Star Tours but they also have motionless seats in the room so that you don't have to have the full hang gliding experience if you are prone to motion sickness.

Belfast
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

thanks gwen

Have you tried the motionless seats. If not anyone else???

Thanks

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,078 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

Soarin is nothing like Star Tours or Mission Space or Back To the Future or any of those kind of "rough and tumble" simulators rides.

If your daughter can ride in a car, she can certainly do Soarin.

It is like one giant porch swing which swings up and back down very slowly throughout the ride. Occasionally, it turns a little left or right, but the motion is always very slow and deliberate. You have a fan blowing on your face throughout the ride to "cool you" and simulate the breeze blowing as you fly. You also have "smells" piped in as you fly across certain areas in the movie (cedar trees, ocean spray, orange trees, etc.).

It's a fantastic experience, I believe.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

That's true about the motionless seats. I can't really comment on motion sickenss as I don't suffer from it. But as I said, I am petrified of heights and as soon as this ride started I absolutely hated it as it felt like I was actually miles up in the air looking down over everything and since we were sitting in an open chair I was panick stricken and couldn't wait for it to end. I am ok if I'm enclosed but I don't like being exposed over heights. Honestly my son said watching my face made his day, the little so and so, he thought it was hilarious. I don't think motion sickness is too much of an issue because there's not a lot of movement as such but its the feeling of being so far up in the air that I really hated. In fact its the scenery below that moves, not you. Once the ride starts it goes up and outward and then just sort of hovers over the scene below. Its really hard to describe but hopefully others will be able to comment further.

Carla

Belfast
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

Thanks kat & carla

It seems like she should be OK as she is always in the car these days as she was 17 on Thursday!! She has to put up with loads of kangeroo jumps and never gets sick!

You have worried me now carla as my hubby hates heights!

swansea, south wales
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

i dont like any big rides and like to keep my feet on the ground. but i loved soarin. i just kept in my mind that i was only a couple of feet of the ground really and i was fine. its one of the rides not to be missed

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,078 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

By the way, for the absolute ultimate Soarin experience, you need to be in Section B, Row 1 in the middle seats.

In this section, row, and seats, you are dead center of the "film" and really get the full experience and full peripherial vision of the film. Also, since row 1 is the "top" row when the ride starts, you don't have dangling feet in your view.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

Craig, I'm sorry but your hubby may have a problem. I don't think I'm over the top in my fear of heights and I really, really hated it! Your daughter will be fine. My son hardly batted an eyelid. He is 17 next week too and can't wait to start driving lessons! I can't wait either...gulp...!

Belfast
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

Carla you can wait believe me!

The only thing getting me through the stalling, gear crunching & general fighting is the fact that when she can drive she can start running her Dad & Me about on a Saturday night.

Have to enrol hubby on "conquer your fear of flight" classes

Belfast
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Soarin- how sick making is it!?!?!

Did I type flight- should be heights. That would be a bad job

Fear of flying on an 8 hour flight to MCO