We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobility at wdw

ky
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
mobility at wdw

i will be traveling to wdw oct 15-18 with a disabled young man . this trip is his wish due to rapidly declining health . he can only walk a few steps at a time , so we will need a power chair to be able to go to the parks . i've read wdw cannot promise you one as its first come first served basis , & if you park hop you cannot take it with you . so you don't know if one will be available at next park . the resort does offer a wheelchair for on-site use {resort} , which is very helpful . i don't know what to do .... should we go for wdw or rent one from a outside source ? i would greatly appreciate any & all tips or suggestions .

thanks,

" t " n ky

Hooks, Texas
Level Contributor
199 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobility at wdw

We used two powerchairs a few years ago on our trip. We got there as the park opened and never had any problems getting them. We also stayed at the same park all day as you couldn't do one hardly in a day, so we never had to worry about that issue. They were great to come and switch out chairs if there was any kind of problem. Hope this helps.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobility at wdw

Although I have rented the theme park scooters for my mom, I think in these circumstances I would recommend renting through an off property company. You would have the scooter 24 hours a day and never have to worry if one would be available. You want this trip to be magical for both of you. Don't run the risk of having to push a wheelchair through the parks. I know Mom had a lot more energy when using the scooter, and so did I! If you do a search of the forum, you will find recommendations for several scooter remtal companies. They will deliver it to the hotel and pick it up there at the end of the trip. The bus transportation on property is very scooter friendly, as are the parks and resorts. Best wishes for a great vacation!

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobility at wdw

I copied this post by Seawolf58:

"Go to mousesavers.com

Scroll to : wheelchairs, electric scooters

click on list

This will give you a list of 3 locals who rent, deliver and pickup at your hotel. Most prices are $30 per day. Some companies allow you to reserve as far in advance as a year. Be sure to ask for a ground floor room at your resort as not all resorts have elevators. My husband is ambulartory but has muscular problems that prevent him from being able to walk all day in the park.(I am a marathoner, not a good match for walking together.) I hope this helps. I emailed all 3 and had a response in 24 hours. We are renting from: Care Medical Equipment

Walker Medical and Mobility Products

This website includes a page about scooter assembly. I used this service for a rental wheelchair for a visiting relative in March 2004. The wheelchair was excellent quality, and the same-day service was professional, polite and prompt.

Email: bob@walkermobility.com

toll free (888) SCOOTER

toll free (888) 726-6837

phone: (407) 518-6000

fax: (407) 518-6009

Care Medical Equipment

102 Drennen Rd. B-1

Orlando, Florida 32806

Phone (407) 856-2273

Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Email: info@caremedicalequipment.com

Randy's Mobility

Email: randys-mobility@att.net

425 Eagle Ridge Dr.

Lake Wales, Florida, 33853, US

407-892-4777

phone: 863-679-1550

fax: 863-679-8570"

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobility at wdw

Here is a link for you to cut & paste - you will probably want to bookmark it too. It is the official Disney Guests with Disabilities page:

disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ…

The phone number for Walt Disney World / Guests with Disabilities services is 407-939-7807.

Here is a another site with good information: http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/special.htm

ky
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mobility at wdw

TinTexas , fla4fun , ajcolorado ,

thanks so very much for the valuable suggestions ! all you guys have been super in your assistance . fla4fun , you're experiance along with ajcolorado helped me decide to rent off site . i agree that would be best for him . your " best wishes " are very thoughtful . ajcolorado , thanks for the great sights & sharing your own story . i'm going to put my trust in someone thats been there & book thru the same co. as you have . i really appreciate the time you each took in helping us out with your suggestions , sharing your own experiances , & the sites to check out . i'm sure i'll be back asking for more advise ............again thanks to all on this post & my other posts . you've been my angels.......thanks also to ta for having such a helpful forum to turn to. 13 days & counting till wdw & one young man's dream coming true .

thanks ,

" t " n ky

jc tenn
Level Contributor
550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mobility at wdw

We'll arrive at WDW this Sunday - in laws are meeting us and MIL is in a WC. Do people in a WC wait in the regular line for attractions, or are they moved to the front (as they were years ago)?

TIA,

KC

7. Re: mobility at wdw

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 11:19