We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

I was just wondering which park would give me more bang for my buck. Looking to travel Nov. 18-24 (of course Thanksgiving week) only because the kids 14, 11 and 2 are out of school . I noticed some of you are not too keen about taking kids out of school for vacation. I won't name names (Vegas) just joking with you Vegas please don't be too hard on me. But anyway any advice would help. I never been to Disneyland but I have visited Disneyworld with the kids several times.

Meredith

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

No doubt is my mine that Disney World is the winner!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

Walt Disney World is not a park. It is a complex 2x the size of Manhattan, NYC (or so I've read) with 4 major theme parks and 2 water parks and plenty of other things there. Disneyland park is the original park in Anaheim, but the Disneyland complex now has 2 parks; the original Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure, along with Downtown Disney (which WDW has as well). Walt Disney World is way bigger than the Disneyland Complex. However, since you have already been to WDW with the kids before, trying Disneyland would definitely be different, especially if they've never been to California.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

Thanks EddieK I appreciate your input.

new york
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

EddieK, you always offer solid advice. Good job as usual. Curt.

florida
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

As we are from Flori "duh", we have been to WDW too many times to count, but went to Disneyland for the 1st time this summer with the family and I would cast my vote for Disneyland. Really liked it over WDW (except for Epcot which is our favorite in Orlando) for several reasons....great weather for one but that would be good at either park during the time your going, so here are the other reasons:

We stayed right across the street and you can "walk" to both parks in less time than it takes you to park the car at WDW. No transportation or waiting of any kind if you stay on Harbour Blvd in a reasonable priced hotel (comparable to International Drive or Kissimmee, with hotels and restaurants, but not as crowded).

You can eat outside the park (lunch or dinner) and just walk back in again in 10 minutes...great option. Or go back to your room for a break (walking again).

Disneyland is smaller and much less tiresome (and less crowded than the Magic Kingdom), but still has all the rides Magic Kingdom does and some better ones (Indiana Jones, the Haunted Mansion, The Jungle Cruise, Fantasmic and the fireworks shows) are all superior to WDW. The only inferior thing we found was the much smaller Castle, but that makes it easier to see the fireworks show as it isn't in the way.

California Adventure is right across the entrance from Disneyland (walking again) and is really a very nice park and had NO crowds!

You have nearly all of the rides that Magic Kingdom does, several of the same from MGM studios and a few from Epcot as well and many that Florida doesn't have (the old classics + new rides at California Adventure...which has a great coaster by the way).

And the scenery of Southern Calf. is fabulous when compared to the flat wasteland that Florida is. Mountains, valleys, ocean all within a birds eye view. You could go to the beach, go sking and have a snowball fight all in the same day if you want to.

And if you need more, Knotts Berry Farm (also a very nice amusement park) is 15 minutes from Disney and Hollywood is about an hour or so away by car or bus tour. As is the original Universal Studios

If you've been to WDW, see the original too....the same, but very different

Louisiana
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

Liberty this is a great way of looking at it.

Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

Disneyland is our favorite. WDW is too big, crowded and overwhelming. I wouldn't go to either during Thanksgiving week, as you'll spend most of your time waiting in line (we made that mistake two years ago at WDW). Last year we went to Disneyland the week after Thanksgiving and it was heaven - no lines whatsoever. Let the kids skip school and go then (they're only young once).

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

Which park is bigger? WDW's Magic Kingdom is larger than Disneyland park. The WDW complex is much larger than the Disneyland complex. Which park is better? That is entirely up to you. The MK parks are similar, but even the attractions they have in common are different, and each park has some attractions that are only in that park. The Grand Californian is a beautiful hotel, if you are into the mission/craftsman style architecture.

Personally, I think Disneyland is good for long weekends and WDW for weeklong plus vacations. It has to do with how much is available to do. Since there's more to do at Florida's parks, they work out well for the longer trips. But you can't really go wrong with either choice.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

Thanks Allison and Fla4fun, I'm thinking about just waiting to go the weekend after thanksgiving plus a couple of weekdays following to avoid the long lines.

My only other is it really busy the weekend before Thanksgiving as well as that monday and tuesday?

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland or Disneyworld ? Which is bigger and better?

We were at Disneyland-Anaheim the weekend before Thanksgiving last year, both Sat and Sun were crowded. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel for the night. But the park was decorated beautifully with Christmas decorations . Small World and Haunted Mansion had Christmas themes during that time. There's also the Christmas parade at night. Weather was hot for that time of year, it hit 90F on both days. Monday/Tuesday before Thanksgiving might be a better option, but better ask the Anaheim forum if you do decide on Disneyland. California Adventure was less crowded on both days.