We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

Orlando
9 posts
Save Topic

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

Perhaps a lot of criminals live there.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

Because a lot of visitors go there bringing with them lots of spending money.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

From a visitors point of view it doesn’t seem to be a crime ridden place. As a local you will be more in tune with local events. But it doesn’t seem to have the hall marks of a lot of crime. There will of course be areas when crime in more relevant than others. it may not be any bigger threat than anywhere else as all towns and cities have their black spots.

We also need to remember that in all societies we have people who are to idle to get up and earn their own rewards in live and find it easier to steal from others who do. From a visitors point of view it would be an advantage to post the localities we should avoid

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

Crime is increasing everywhere, and Orlando is no exception. If you are new to Orlando, you will soon learn that there are areas in town that are riskier than others, just like in any city. Fortunately, for the majority of tourists, the "touristy" part of town isn't one of the big crime areas. Still, it's wise to practice common sense wherever you go. Be aware of your surroundings and keep the valuables out of sight. Don't carry all your cash around with you either (not only can it be stolen, but you could lose it yourself as well).

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

In all the times we've stayed in the Kissimmee area, we had never experienced any crime, but this time we got caught up in a car chase on 536 one evening. There were guns involved and one car nearly crashed into us side-on which upset the family.

We watched the local news each morning and didn't get the impression that we were staying in the Wild West.

I don't think Orlando is any more crime-ridden than most US cities.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

hi if u look like a soft touch u will be targeted as one .have a good time but dont close down the most important sense u have .COMMON SENSE!!! we brits stand out like sore thumbs in florida so be aware ... this is no scaremongering by any means its like any where in the world have a good vacation just dont think it wont happen . thats when it does!! i have been approached before at the florida mall by a couple of prospective hoodlums while with my wife and kids thinking i would hand over my hard earned coin after gesturing to me in what they thought was a n intimidating manner.. after a look from me my wife moved the kids away i promptly turned and informed these..... people that they had better walk away while they still had no medical bills to pay ..they lookedat each other then ... funny they just seem to fall on the ground yelling in pain??? after which i proceeded to inform them i was a 2nd degree black belt who was also an unbeaten karate champion of two years and would NOT be giving them anything except the time of day... all this time the security guards in the mall watched and did nothing ... so if something doesnt feel right ...it probably isnt!!!

Orlando
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

Orlando is nothing like it was even 2 years ago.... watch the Local news.

australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

Suddenly Orlando sounds like a really scary place. I don't think I want to be going to a shopping centre just to be bailed up by thugs wanting my money.

Gee is it that bad, we went to LA 2 years ago and it sounds like a cake walk in comparison.

Beautiful Long...
Level Contributor
655 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

Wow.

Didn't realize that Orlando was top of the list in many crimes (rape, murder, carjacking, robbery, assault, etc.)....

Cut/paste this site into your browser:

orlando.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

You can compare any U.S. city to Orlando (2004 figures per 100,000 population) giving comparisons in all areas of major crimes.

I compared at least 8 major U.S. cities to Orlando....and can't find any city that comes close....Orlando tops them all in most areas.

Didn't even give it a thought before.....let alone think it was an issue.....but now I will.

This side of Orlando isn't advertized in the guide books.

australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is the crime so bad in Orlando?

Now that is just dam frightening... makes me wonder if I want to take kids there after all.