We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Topic
Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Going to Orlando for a few days in December. What park did you enjoy the most around Christmas time? Want to go back to Animal Kingdom but is it decorated at night for Christmas? Any suggestions?

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Hello Wutzy,

Each park has something special to offer. MGM Studios has the Osborne Spectacle of lights with over 5 million lights. They've changed the way they place them as they added an attraction in back where they use to be but they are still spectacular!

We usually go to MGM on Christmas Eve and Epcot on Christmas Day to enjoy the Candlelight Processional which is a beautiful choral concert with a celebrity narrator. We always book the dinner package so we are guaranteed seating. The decorations are beautiful here also. I wouldn't recommend Animal Kingdom if your only going to one park as it's not nearly as beautiful as the other three parks. Are you traveling with children? If so what are their ages so I can better help you with your decision.

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Hey healin....I see you on the OTC sometimes. I love the critters and have been to AK once. Usually don't get to Disney around Christmas time so would like to see one of the parks that are decorated nice for Xmas at night. I would guess Disney World would be the nicest but the most crowded too.

No kids, husband is more interested in playing golf there once or twice. Maybe you could help me out with the this. I once drove from Palm Harbor to Coco Beach to go on a gambling cruise. We stayed at a hotel overnight that had a shuttle to a gambling cruise...STERLING GAMBLING CRUISE. Do you know if they have shuttles somewhere in Orlando that will take you on a Gambling Cruise? Sorry being a bit lazy here...just thought I'd ask since your a Orlando Expert.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Since your not traveling with children Wutzy, I would pass on the Magic Kingdom for Christmas Day, of all the parks it's packed body to body and even though I love it, wouldn't choose it if I wasn't traveling with children.

I usually recommend going to Epcot because of all the parks it feels less crowded on Christmas Day as it's Disney's largest park and of the 4 is more adult orientated. Animal Kingdom is the smallest park and can be completed in 6 hours or less. Even though I love Animal Kingdom, it's the least decorated park during Christmas and is definitely not the park to go to for night time lights. MGM's 5 million lights at the back of the park are the most spectacular for this. I generally don't recommend park hopping, however because your traveling without children you could purchase a one day park hopper and choose to go to two parks in one day. Epcot is a boat ride away from MGM, this way you would be able to see the Osborne lights and also the decorations at Epcot and the fabulous Illuminations firework and lazer show.

As far as transportation services, I'm sorry I don't know the shuttle you took, however Mears Transportation is Orlando's largest transportation company, you may have taken one of their shuttles. Check out www.mearstransportation.com for info.. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

healin...Thanks for your help. Never been to MGM, so maybe this is the park to do on this visit. Most likely walk around away cause neither I or husband will wait more than 30 min for a ride. We usually never go to Orlando during peak season. Will take your advice and not go to AK.

If we decide to take the gambling cruise guess I could drive there. If I'm that determinded to do it...we'll just drive. Hopefully the weather will be nice so we can enjoy the outside...and of course all the good places to eat at. We enjoyed the Italian Restaurant Alfredo's in Epcot so might just go there one night to eat and see the sights.

Thanks again.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Hey Wutzy - My favorites at Christmas are DTD [and that's FREE!!!!] which also features lots of live entertainment and Epcot. I know Epcot is kind of lame, but I enjoy the World Showcase around the holidays, and the Magic Kingdom. There's just something about Main Street all decorated for the holidays that I just really love.

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Hey Tour...DTD (downtown Disney right?)...have'nt done that yet either. Have gone to Universal City Walk a few times. Is it the same type of thing?

We've been to Orlando a few times but never around Christmas...should be fun. I love to get my picture taken with the characters...all the kids look at me like I'm a nut cause I usually ham it up a bit. But I'll trade my trip for yours if you want!

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Even without kids, I highly recommend Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. "Snow" on Main Street, hot cocoa and cookies, and the special Fireworks are AMAZING.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Well, I like Orlando around the holidays, but I think it's time for me to say, "Mele Kalikimaka" again! At least I'm pretty sure Hawaii will be warm in December. But do enjoy Orlando, it is fun. And though no one mentioned it, you can take the Disney buses around to the resorts to see how they're decorated. Disney does so much work that they do specials on HGTV and FoodNetwork. Really worth seeing.

[And yes, DTD is Downtown Disney. It is somewhat like City Walk, but more overwhelmingly mouse oriented. Still the buildings themselves are something as is the location and you can go to the Virgin Megastore in Westside and go nuts!]

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Thanks guys think I'll skip the Sterling Cruise and get as much fun outta the Christmas at Orlando thing as much as I can.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your favorite theme park Christmas time?

Hey Wutzy,

Another great Epcot resturatant choice is LeCellier in Canada, if your in the mood for a steak, the cheddar cheese soup is outstanding along with the pretzel bread. It's a must you make advance dinner reservations now by calling 407-WDW-DINE otherwise you won't get into any of your dining choices!!! For a list of Disney restuarants and menu's go to www.allearsnet.com

Hey Tour, it's almost time for me to have a Mele Kelikimaka (SP) too! I love Hawaii during Christmas and miss it! Hoping to get there within the next three years. Are you going this year? If so which Islands?