We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Florida

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
233 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Florida

Hi all, were going to Florida for 2 weeks in Feb. Weve never been to the US and are renting a car, does any1 know websites that give details on the "highway" code, also any tips for surviving on the roads would be good :) thanx

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Florida

Put your foot down and go for it ,

lovely wide roads loads of lanes

biggets advice is

Enjoy it dont worry about the driving it is easy

Mick

Scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Florida

This is a good website for information

www.kissimmee-us192.com/british/default.htm

Drove in US for first time in June and didn't have any problems - you'll be fine.

AMK

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Florida

Dannydodger

you do not have to think that much. For one thing you will not have to worry about ever changing gears - your left foot has a holiday.

It is a joy so just look forward to it - do not worry it will be sound. it will not bwe about survival it will be enjoyment on lovely wide roads. Also my biggest prob/annoyannce is getting parked in town and Sainbury's over here in tiny spaces - but not in Fl lovely big car parks so no stress there.

Enjoy.

London
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Florida

Its all been said - you can really enjoy driving in florida. Wide, straight roads, well signposted. You won't get lost. Don't be afraid, enjoy.

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Florida

Welcome to Florida Danny -

You really won't find a problem at all in getting around in Orlando. Everything is marked and pretty much straightforward. As a "backup" you might want to consider renting a car that has a navigational system in it. Many have "Disney World" or "MGM" or "Universal" etc. already programmed.

Enjoy your stay!!

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Florida

That would be no good for me then.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Florida

danny,

I wouldnt worry too much as if you can drive on UK roads then you can certainly drive in US.

Roads are wide open, big, auto cars, etc.

Be aware there is often no 'passing lane' as Americans pass either side.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
233 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Florida

Thanks for ur help guys - Without wanting to sound stupid - how to traffic lights work there? do they have the same red, amber,green that we have in the UK?

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Florida

Recently I haven't seen anybody stop to look.

florida
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Florida

I'm sure you know but they don't drive on the left side of the road. If you make it to downtown Orlando avoid the curbed in cobblestone single lanes that say Lymmo only as they are for free buses that run about every 5 minutes. Research the State and National Parks in the area that most visitors never get to see for lack of time and/or transportation.