We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south wales uk
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

Can anyone beat that?????

Now I'm all for observing and obeying the rules, but honestly I was

ID'd at Margaritaville last week. I am 45 years old and even if I think I look good for my age, the best plastic surgeon in the world could not make me look under 21 or 30 come to that. The waitress insisted on me producing my ID.

I have been going to Orlando regularly for the last 10 years and this has never happened before. Even in super duper strict Disney. I thought she was joking at first, but she was deadly serious. It resulted in the farcical situation of my 21 year old daughter getting her beer because she had her driving licence on her and me sipping diet coke because I didn't.

I could perhaps justify this if it was policy to ID EVERYONE. However, a little later the same waitress served a table of people obviously younger than me with alcohol without asking them to produce ID.

Of course, I did not say anything because I did not want to kick up a fuss and risk spoiling the evening for the others in my party but I was really looking forward to the famous margarita.

Perhaps I should write to Jimmy Buffett.................. I was definitely not wasted away again in Margartiaville.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

So sorry to hear about your trouble. That stinks that the waitress actually refused to serve your drink. I often don't carry my drivers license on me. I leave it in my purse, which I don't carry everywhere. A credit card in the pocket is usually sufficient. How disappointing to not get that margaritta that you were probably craving.

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

That happened to me this past summer in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire. Granted, I'm 37 and don't I wish I still looked to be under 21, but they wouldn't serve me. Make matters worse, they put big black "X"s on both of my hands so that I couldn't be served. And yes... they used permanent marker so I practically had to scour away my skin to get rid of the marks. They were replaced with beautiful red, raw hands..... arghhhhhhhh

I'm grateful for places to make sure there's no out of control underage drinking. But discretion is just as important!!!!

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

Libby,

Quite a few places now have rules where everyone gets carded but in your case the waitress served someone else without asking - seems like you were treated like a second class customer to me.

I would write a letter detailing what happened to Marg. head office!!! Dont let them get away with it.

south wales uk
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

sunnyflmom - after a long hard day in Islands I felt there would be a frozen marg with my name on it.

jkwedding4 - I feel your pain honestly!!

nickdolphins - thanks for the advice, I think I will complain. BTW are you originally from Key Largo? We just spent a few days there on route to Key West and had a blast.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

Libby,

Good for you :)

As for Largo, lol - nope, I am from 'Largo' (not Key Largo) which is next to Clearwater/St Petersburg, Fl............

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

It was probably the South Wales accent that rubbed her up the wrong way - there is really nothing worse is there, cariad.

A similar thing happened to us in a restaurant in Tampa. The waitress just seemed surly and ill tempered and got it all wrong and then argued with us. We stuck it for a bit and then I complained to the Maitre d'. I was polite and assertive. I carefully explained my problem and he agreed that these were not the standards expected. I asked for the business card so that I could take the complaint further and again the maitre d' agreed that this was the right way to do things.

I asked for the meal and drinks bill but he told me that I would not have to pay because he wanted us to come back. I wrote to the owner who sent me vouchers so that the next meal was free also. I have been back since but the waitress from hell aint there no more.

I tell this story because that is one way to complain. Remain polite and be postive about some aspects of the meal or whatever but be strong in saying how upset you are. Remember they want you to come back otherwise the word gets out and they are doomed.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

Vegas,

good post!!!

Last 2 paragraphs is exactly what I do.

south wales uk
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

Vegas, you are so right. With the benefit of hindsight, I realise I should have said something at the time.

Anyway what's wrong with the Swansea Jack accent mush?

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

libby my darling there is nothing at all wrong it is just that it is not a Cardiff accent.

south wales uk
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ID'd at Margaritaville at 45!

Tee Hee