We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando and Ruskin with 5 kids

illinois
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Orlando and Ruskin with 5 kids

We are trying to plan a trip to Florida sometime this year with our 5 kids .Their ages are 21, 18,14,5, and 3. Funds are very limited, so we have to time our trip according to how prices for lodging and airfare are running.

I was thinking of flying into Orlando, staying a few days, then heading to Ruskin (my dad has a place on the Little Manatee River) for a couple of days before flying back to Chicago (from Tampa). Does this sound feasable? About how long of a drive is it from Orlando to Ruskin.

I'm overwhelmed by all the choices in the Orlando area, especially with the age range of my kids. I do know that I want to spend one day at Magic Kingdom. I also promised the little ones one night at Nick Hotel. After that, I'm lost. Other than one of my daughters thinking hammerhead sharks are really cool, the older kids would be more interested in shopping, music, games, places with other kids their ages.

I also wonder if there will be anything for the older kids to do while in Ruskin?

Sorry for such a long, complicated question!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,035 Reviews
Orlando, FL
World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Blackbird Vintage Music
Gift & Speciality Shops
The Shooting Gallery
Gift & Speciality Shops
chesterfield,va
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando and Ruskin with 5 kids

I would say try either Seaworld or Universal /Islands of Adventure with your older kids. THey will like Magic Kingdom too but might also enjoy Universal/Islands or Seaworld more because of their ages. THey might enjoy downtown disney and pleasure island too.

Mentioned in this post
SeaWorld Orlando
SeaWorld Orlando
29,263 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Universal's Islands of Adventure
Universal's Islands of...
46,096 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,035 Reviews
Orlando, FL
orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando and Ruskin with 5 kids

as far as i know,not much to do in ruskin....prolly take you about 1 1/2 hours to get there from disney area

illinois
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando and Ruskin with 5 kids

Thanks guys.

I've been considering just sticking to the Orlando area for this trip and hitting Ruskin at a later date without the kids.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando and Ruskin with 5 kids

ruskin is closer to tampa and the gulf coast beaches....plenty to do over there.... so that may be an option

5. Re: Orlando and Ruskin with 5 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 16:19