We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ormond Beach(joys r us ) nightmare

ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Ormond Beach(joys r us ) nightmare

We were extremely disappointed with our house. Upon arrival one can see that the house is not maintained well. It looks run down and the yard is overgrown, very uninviting. The owner expressed her displeasure with the overgrown lawn as well, claiming the maintenence people must not have done it. The laundry room was in the garage and with only 10 towels for 11 people(they claim to supply towels), we spent a lot of time out there washing. In a cupboard in the garage there are loads of old records and books, all covered in rodent feces.

The pool was the temperature of ice, which was suspicious being that the temperatures were in the 80's the previous week. The water department showed up, concerned about the volume of water being used-hmmmmm-we are thinking that the pool was recently filled. It was not swimmable. We found the shower to be backing up and the owner was pouring draino in it. A few hours later, it happen again. The owner came over and snaked it, obviously displeased for being bothered. We asked about a screen for the sliding glass door. The door was just 10 steps to the inground pool and we had several small children. The owner claimed that a previous renter had broke it.( sounds like a great reason to use that persons security deposit??)We did call the owner that evening and explaining that we needed a screen because of our fear with the children and the pool. They said it would be done the next day. They never came and did it.

The toilet had a plunger sitting next to it..must be because of the known plumbing issues. We had to plunge at least 5 times a day. Also, at night the sprinkler system would errupt and send water shooting forcefully into the air, waking up that side of the house.

The kitchen was minimally stocked....the mixing bowls and pans were in poor shape and the towel supply in the bathroom was low..we had to go out and purchase additional towles and wash cloths.

THe owners claim to supply paper products.....yes, 5 rolls of toilet paper for 11 people for a week.

There is not a radio to be had in the house and the alarm clock looks to be about 60 years old...not able to pull in one station.

The television remote controls did not work.

The grass had not been cut and the pool was tiny....very deceiving in the pictures.

I am sure there is more....oh yes, the fridge....it stopped working a few days before we left. Our food was thawing rapidly. Strangly, it began working the next day again. However, I pity the next family that stays there because I have doubts about the owners getting it fixed.

We decided not to continue to dwell on the negative of the house because it could end up consuming all of our vacation. So, we made the best of it and didn't hang around the house much. We had a blast at the beaches and going to Disney.

We will never stay in any of the Joys R Us houses again....and I recommend that you do not either.

"Slumlords" is the only word that comes into mind right now.

Collecting over 1600.00 a week for the rental and putting 0.00 back into maintaining the house. What a scam!!!!!In addition...there is not hot tub as the site claims!!!

In addition...we walked into overflowing garbage cans outside and were asked to take out the garbage on Monday from the previous renters !!!!!!!!!!! So, for 3 days we lived with an abundance of garbage and then got it the heck out of there and to the curb ourselves!

brooklyn
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ormond Beach(joys r us ) nightmare

Thank you for posting this. I was just looking at their houses as a possible place to stay for our trip. They even offered to lower the price. Now I see why. Thanks again for the warning.

Dalton, GA
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ormond Beach(joys r us ) nightmare

I am surprised to read the above post. Joys-r-us is owned by a very nice couple and his mom. We rented their Surfside drive house in 2004. It was spacious, clean, well stocked and the owners were at our beck and call. The pool was very clean. The kitchen utensils were adequate as was the paper supplies and towels as promised.

There were 9 adults and one child in our group. We could not have been more pleased. We have a deposit on their Sand dunes home for this June and are looking forward to our time there.

Jprit918@alltel.net

IL
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ormond Beach(joys r us ) nightmare

My family has a trip planned in July to one of the Joys-R-Us homes as well (Sand Dunes). This will be our first time there. Your post really concerns me now. If anyone else has further input about their rentals and your experiences, I would love to hear from you.

IL
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ormond Beach(joys r us ) nightmare

My family has a trip planned in July to one of the Joys-R-Us homes as well (Sand Dunes). This will be our first time there. Your post really concerns me now. If anyone else has further input about their rentals and your experiences, I would love to hear from you.

ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ormond Beach(joys r us ) nightmare

BEWARE................jprit918 is either Michael ELais or someone who knows him. Over on the daytona beach forum he made a comment about me having 7 adlts in my party...something I never disclosed on these sites.

6. Re: Ormond Beach(joys r us ) nightmare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Ormond Beach