We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

Happy Monday! I am trying to plan a high school graduation trip for my Niece, Sister (we’re both 40’s) and Mother (60’s) in June. We’d like to drive down the coast from Palm Beach to Key West, stopping to do some different types of dives (we are beginners though, my niece will finish getting certified there and I will do a refresher course) any other activities that sound good, and need thoughts on where to stay (hotels), how long in each town, what dives not to miss, stops along the way and what my Mother and Sister can do while we’re diving. Budget is probably $400-$500/night for hotels. We also like good food, history, outdoor activities, and relaxing.

I am also posting this on the Islamorada and Key West forums, just FYI.

This is what I have so far, any input is appreciated!

Day 1: Fly into, Palm Beach, relax

Hotel: The Breakers (any others that are ‘graduation trip’ worthy but not so pricey? I looked at Brazilian Court and Eua Palm Beach, any input?)

Day 2: Niece open water dives/my refresher course

Day 3: Drift dive

Worth staying in Palm Springs for this type of dive? Or should we stay in Miami and just dive there?

Day 4: Drive to Islamorada, stop in Miami at Joes (I know the crabs are not in season in June, but I’ve always wanted to eat here)

Hotel: Postcard Inn or Amara Cay

Day 5: Dive John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park

Should we stay one more day in Islamorada? Stay in Key Largo and add a day?

Day 6: Drive to Key West

Hotel: Marquesa or Santa Maria Suites

Day 7: Dive reefs

Day 8: Wreck dive

Day 9: Explore Key West

Day 10: Fly home from Key West

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
The Breakers
The Breakers
2,492 Reviews
Palm Beach, FL
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
11 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

Yes to Hotel: The Breakers.

Read

Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary | Big Pine Key & Lower Florida ...

www.floridakeys.com/lowerkeys/looekey.htm

Looe Key (Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary) - All You Need to ...

https://www.tripadvisor.com › ... › Florida Keys › Things to Do in Florida Keys

Mentioned in this post
Big Pine Key
Big Pine Key
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Port Washington...
Level Contributor
745 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

I'll post More tonight as scubadivers too!! But the Breaker's has great rates island view rooms with pull out great for 4 persons with breakfast!!STAY MORE THAN ONE DAY A MUST!!!!!

NEXT I WILL say while in Palm Beach see the Flagler Museum across the street, Bethesda by the Sea church next door, get to Worth Ave , and have a drink at Taboo,Have diner at Pizza alFresco,and top off the night with a gellato next door!!

Oops diving!! DO YOU KNOW your staying the closet the Gulf stream comes to the shores of the USA IN PALM BEACH COUNTY! A DIVERS MECA!!WORLD CLASS REEFS AND DIVING!shhh it's a secret but a few miles down the road is Boyton Beach and many dive boats with drift and reef dives in the 50-55' range tons of sea life! Bath tub warm,gin clear waters!!I'll post more on my dive Trips south to keys tonight!! And places must see and do! Oh by the way we're at Breaker's June too!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Bethesda by the Sea
Bethesda by the Sea
112 Reviews
Palm Beach, FL
The Gulf
The Gulf
1,708 Reviews
Orange Beach, AL
United States
United States
North America
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

More fantastic information, thank you! One question I forgot to ask, should we drop off the car once we get to Key West or keep it? I'm pretty sure we'll be staying at Marquesa, is that close enough to walk to things, or should we keep the car? Not sure I want to cab everywhere with four people.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Marquesa Hotel
Marquesa Hotel
1,102 Reviews
Key West, FL
Port Washington...
Level Contributor
745 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

I'll have more information this evening when I get off the road for you

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

Looking forward to it!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

The Marquesa is in the heart of Old Town Key West and you don’t need a car when you’re there.

Mentioned in this post
Marquesa Hotel
Marquesa Hotel
1,102 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Port Washington...
Level Contributor
745 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

First Breakers a must do, we were disappointed at Eau a few weeks back seems to be a more Euro crowd? strange not as the old Ritz was! and if you book at Breakers with the SPECIAL Free Breakfast at the Circle room INSANLEY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diving remember don't count on diving too much as the wrong winds blow its a bad day ,some opps will go out not suggested for new or rusty divers!!!

Boynton Beach a short hop down A1a and your at a bunch of dive boats let me suggest one Kevin at Underwater Explorers out of Boynton Beach runs a six pac smaller good boat, You guys brining gear?? if not rentals take time, fitting and getting weight right the ocean is no place for this! that said a conversation explaining you need some ,well guidance, years back he was in the water every dive now he Capts his own boat but if you talk or email he may be able to line up a great local DM to guide you on Boynton's world class reefs Another suggestion for you to ask Kevin is Blue Herron Bridge to do refresher and or check outs,,, its real close to the Breakers, Kevin by the way is a great no nonsense instructor known WORLD WIDE! Ok a few easy dives as you head south is Pompano Beach several great shops a real shallow wreck is the SS Copenhagen ,Ok Keys Just returned a few weeks back and let me say mid Keys are messed up,ya the trash is gone but the rest is a mess way too much to go into here but messed up is putting it lightly! John Penakamp state park runs some cattle boats out if you like this kind of diving I don't its rushed chaos, next bad news +the main attraction Molasses reef is a mess poor visibility due to the devastation done to the mangroves, run off, probable pollution and such water looked like a sewer and the hurricane was months back! Islamorada not sure about Joes? but if you don't stop at Craig's you just missed the best fish sandwich anywhere bar none! then hit Robbie's and feed the tarpon a must do! I have not personally stayed were you plan to,, but go for more of a upper budget joint and they have many dumps in the keys, otherwise Hawks Cay is a no brainer if you like to spend $$$ Our preferred joint is the Ocean View Gary Dunn has got it right this small hotel and I mean small has nicely appointed rooms and baths, small patio in rear of room ,large charcoal grill to cook up the Florida bugs=lobster or catch of the day, nice pool and bar and food on site ,but its open all night and don't get room on that end of hotel! Diving the Keys we were out at Alligator reef light house a few weeks back water was so clear insane what the gulf stream dose ,but closer in again as said yuck!!!! and keys and diving is about wrecks, wrecks are deep ,deep is bad when you add the current that can be strong or not day to day! not good if your not up to it, I'm sure on the wrecks water is gin clear. Key West its a day trip for me no parking no bathrooms, just gets old my choice stay mid keys ,always make right turns no matter what its a keys joke and don't drive anywhere after 4pm north especially! pm with any questions will be glad to help,

Brad

Mentioned in this post
The Circle at The Breakers
The Circle at The...
251 Reviews
Palm Beach, FL
Pompano Beach
Pompano Beach
Broward County, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
4,880 Reviews
Duck Key, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

Morti R, I encourage you to post questions about The Keys in the Florida Keys forum. That way you can get lots of input from people with recent experience here. If you can read the prior post in spite of run on sentences and a lack of paragraphs, it is full of incorrect information.

I am not going to go through each point but as an example, I can tell you that believe it or not, we do have bathrooms in Key West! We stopped using buckets years ago. Not only are there public toilets, but the hundreds of businesses in town all have real flush toilets you can use!

Water clarity here depends on weather. When we have a stretch of windy days, the nearshore waters are cloudy. When we have calm days, the nearshore waters are clear. It has nothing to do with a hurricane or pollution.

Anyway, post on the Florida Keys forums for more input from other recent travelers before the prior post makes you think you made the wrong decision coming here.

Edited: 31 January 2018, 14:18
Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

Thank you SDT! I actually did post this on the Florida Keys forum as well (wanted input for both the Palm Beach and the Keys). Any additional recommendations & input you have is welcome!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34340…

Mentioned in this post
Port Washington...
Level Contributor
745 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West

SDT, DO I detect a RUDE KW WANNABE!IF I COULD Id post photos! Your telling me water clarity is pretty just go on you tube??? you telling me gas stations on the way south of mid keys don't claim restrooms are not working? What changed in two weeks? nothing pony tails and it's a mind set and sorry you prove it! Sorry to say we go back when Mel was alive, looe key was the place to be, and many, many, years in KW! I apologise I offended you.

Reply to: June Road Trip - Diving Palm Beach to Key West
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palm Beach