We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

Planning our annual holiday to Florida for Feb 13.

We like to do both coasts and have done Sarasota and Cocoa and want to try something different.

We have settled for St Petes on the West Coast and are undecided on either Palm Beach or Daytona.

We are a couple in our late 30's with a 9 year old child.

What are your thoughts?? the research I have done so points towards Daytona having a lot more going on and Palm Beach having less going on.

Thanks in Advance

Martin

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

Martin

Palm Beach and Daytona Beach are two entirely different places. Palm Beach is up, up, upscale especially "in Season." High rates on everything and lots of very wealthy people enjoying the sun and being seen. Daytona Beach is very much "mid-market" and February is "Speed Weeks" - everything racing - which starts with the Rolex 24 Hrs. on 1.27.13 and ends after the Daytona 500 on 2.24.13. Nothing wrong with that time except a lot of people in town and need to make reservations early especially like mid-Feb to after 2.28. Of course it will be crowded in PB also at that time of year. As to weather - DB is 200 miles north of PB so winters are cooler - if you want to be sure it will be warmer go further south.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

Agreed 2 way different places. Daytona is a bit dated many folks feel. But wpb is snooty many folks feel. There are some neat big cat sanctuaries around west palm that 9 year old might like. And the beach is the beach. Also might be up to a 10-15 degree difference between the two in winter - just something to be mindful of.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

Agreed 2 way different places. Daytona is a bit dated many folks feel. But wpb is snooty many folks feel. There are some neat big cat sanctuaries around west palm that 9 year old might like. And the beach is the beach. Also might be up to a 10-15 degree difference between the two in winter - just something to be mindful of.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

You might have three completely different places. You say Palm Beach but not sure if you mean West Palm Beach. They're completely different as Palm Beach is exclusive and expensive and West Palm Beach is more "regular people". Daytona Beach is how the previous posters have already described. If you want a place on the east coast to visit with a child how about Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area instead? You can go to the space center, the beaches are nice and its a family friendly area.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

February? If you want to go sunbathing, choose a place in South Florida (Palm Beach fits). Daytona Beach is considered part of North Florida for climate definition. There is a Winter season in that part of Florida. There won't be snow on the ground, but you will need to wear long sleeve shirts and trousers.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

Nearly everything in Palm Beach County will be expensive in February, although you might check hotel rates at Singer Island. There's lots of winter residents, so I think the apartment/condo market would be very tight.

In terms of cultural activities, Palm Beach County is rather like Sarasota, with probably the best art museum in Florida (the Norton), shows at the Kravis Center, and more. The ocean will be decently warm, probably about 76 F (24 C) thanks to the Gulf Stream.

Daytona Beach is, to put it bluntly, a low-income, poorly-educated area that has allowed its central beach area to become a slum, apart from the hotels and a few attractions on the beach itself. The local newspaper, the News-Journal, has run stories on that problem. Neighboring Ormond Beach is nicer. The vicinity includes some nice natural areas, and the kid might have a fine time at the beach if equipped with a wetsuit. Do expect cooler weather than Palm Beach (or Sarasota) and a bit colder than St. Pete, which has a protected local climate due to surrounding water. You can grow tender palms outdoors in St. Pete that would die in Cocoa Beach.

Daytona Beach does have a nice Southeastern Photography Museum, an Arts and Sciences museum with a nice collection of Cuban art and a splendid ground sloth, and shows at the Peabody Auditorium and Daytona Beach State College's new auditorium.

This climate chart showing the entire year of 2011 may help understand Daytona's climate. The actual temperatures, daily maximum to minimum, are shown as dark blue bars.

www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/?n=cligraph_kdab_2011

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

I was just reading your post and you've alleviated some of my concerns. My husband and I are going to WPB the day after Christmas for a few days (to celebrate his 50th). We've never been and everytime I tell someone we're going to WPB, they respond that it's a "very snooty" place to visit. I'm glad to hear that WPB has "regular folks"... If you could tell me more...like ideas of what to wear, what to expect from the locals, tips... that would be so helpful.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,859 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

Singer Island & Worth Ave are where you will find the more elite crowds. Worth Ave is interesting to visit but not a place I can afford to shop. I have stayed at hotels on Palm Beach and not felt out of place. (we were at Holiday Inn not the Ritz!). As far a West Palm Beach the Gardens Mall is there and is very nice. There are some areas around US Hwy 1 I would avoid unless they have done some cleaning up of the area. Lion Country Safari is a small theme park, 1/2 visit.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

If you come to Daytona beach, be sure & visit the Ponce Inlet lighthouse > http://ponceinlet.org/ . My son is 10 and loved it. There's also a small Marine Science center which rescues sea turtles located a block or so away from the lighthouse, very reasonable & highly recommended for his age as well: http://marinesciencecenter.com/rescued.htm

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,859 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palm Beach or Daytona Beach

About Lion Country Safari meant to say 1/2 day visit. Drive thru to see the animals then a few things like paddle boats and ferris wheels and a water play area. You can even bring a picnic lunch to this one. You will find that in Palm Beach people dress up more to go out or even shopping.

Daytona more laid back. During race weeks you will find somewhat of a tailgating party crowd but not like spring breakers. Lots of Nascar race stuff going on and maybe some opportunities for autographs from some drivers. daytonabeach.com/calendar.cfm/…2012-02-01

Also look at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com for track info. It can be very cold in Daytona. Have been there for races when it was very nice and we wore shorts to the race and have been when it was very cold like in the upper 30's to 40's.

Another option to consider since you will already be going to Palm Beach is to consider Ft. Lauderdale (look at Ft. Lauderdale by the Sea) or head down to the keys. The keys don't have great beaches but its a beautiful place. Look at the Florida Keys and Key West forums to see if this may be an option you are interested in. (unless you have already been there done that)!

Get answers to your questions about Palm Beach