We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone drove to PCB from Milwaukee or Chicago??

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
634 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone drove to PCB from Milwaukee or Chicago??

How long does it take, we actually like north of Milwaukee and are driving down. Just wondering about how many hours or miles it would be.

Thanks for you info!

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Has anyone drove to PCB from Milwaukee or Chicago??

Hi. we live in Bloomington Illinois and have traveled to PC Beach by car several times. Last May we made the trip with our 2 year old son and our 6 year old daughter. It is just about 15 hours with stops figured in for small children. WE made it in 14.5 hours going down but it took longer the year before because of traffic problems quite a bit of the way. We are 1 hour and 45 min. from downtown chicago.

so depending on how far it is from milwaukee to Bloomington you may be looking at about 17.5 hours or so. It really isn't a terrible trip. We try to make it to the far side of Birmingham Al. the first day of our drive. It saves time in the morning of the second day not having to get through Birmingham at morning rush hour. We are then in PC beach by mid afternoon on the second day of driving.

When traveling such a distance with small children we always bring our portable dvd player. We pack the van the night before and start out early in the morning (Before 7am) so we can make it to Birmingham before it is too late in the night. I always go to the dollar store and pick up about 15 small toys, crayons, notepads etc.. I then put each item in a seperate small brown lunch bag. Close the bags and then put them all in a bigger bag. Each child gets to pick out one bag per hour. They then switch items back and forth between each other as they become bored. We limit the dvds to one movie in the morning and two in the afternoon... as they become increasingly restless we use the movie as a great distraction. We also have a "snack box" that has MANY small individual snacks to choose from . When we stop we pick fast food and make sure the restaurant has a grassy area near it to let the kids run off energy. We have bubbles to chase and a ball to kick close at hand when we stop for the potty breaks, gas and food. All of these things make the trip much easier. We love our trips to PC Beach and wish you luck on your trip. If you have any more questions or questions about the route we take please repost.

Marietta Ga
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Has anyone drove to PCB from Milwaukee or Chicago??

semperton Thanks you have given me a great idea how to entertain my kids when we go on our vacation i'm going to try and do it and see how that works

Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Has anyone drove to PCB from Milwaukee or Chicago??

Thanks semberton, I too plan to use some of your ideas for the trip down in June for our 18 month old. That new toy every hour thing is a great idea.

IL
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Has anyone drove to PCB from Milwaukee or Chicago??

We are NW of Chicago. We drive pretty fast, usually low 80s.

We get there in about 15 hours. First time we went thru Dothan and came in east of PCB. Last time we took a different route that took us near Fort Walton and then headed east into PCB. I liked that route better. I am going again in a week. I got a gps for Christmas, so will go whichever way that tells me to go. I haven't figured out if I want to do the route that says fastest or shortest. I guess if it's more than 50 miles shorter, will go with that one.

15. Re: Has anyone drove to PCB from Milwaukee or Chicago??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 07:22