We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

The beach was lined with people watching in the afternoon as the giant fished East. There were like 4 or 5 of them in a row. Coming up at times. They looked like sharks to me. Within 10 minutes a helicopter flew over as if looking, and, no it wasn't the helicopter that takes people for rides. I am wondering if anyone else seen the fishes and were they sharks or dolphins? They didn't look like dolphins. However, we went to the pier at pier park, and out on it and saw several dolphins in the water down there.

Anyone?

orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

did you see any fins?

if the fins were kind of rolling and then disappearing prolly dolphins....if the fins were not really disappearing and were just cutting thru the water, prolly sharks

without personally seeing it, hard to say and hard to explain (above) in print medium

Tennessee
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

We were at the calypso last week and one afternoon I noticed a lady jumping up and down waving people to come out of the water. At first I did not know what she was doing then I saw the fins. Turned out to be a dolphin. Made me stand up and pay attention though.

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

The fins were disappearing for sure. Like every minute they would come back up. It was really amazing to watch. I thought it was sharks, but, after going on the pier and seeing the dolphins I figured thats what it was, but, wasn't sure. There were like 5 of them in a row. I was thinking dolphins swam in pairs but the ones around the pier were alone.

The calypso is just like 4 building down so was probably the same thing you saw.

Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

On Thurs. beaches in South Walton Co. were closed for a few hours due to 16-18 confirmed shark sightings. Said they were bull sharks and some came as close as 10 feet from the shore. Unsure if this has a thing to do with your posting since it is not in the same area.

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

In all the years I've been to PCB, I've never seen an actual shark altho I've heard LOTS of folks say they've seen them. However, I have seen lots of dolphins and yes they do go up and down through the water and they usual travel in groups. They're very socialble animals.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've always been told if you have dolphins around you won't have sharks? Of course I know the sharks are out there and I think about it, but I don't worry about it.

Karen

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
364 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

We were in PCB June 8-12, and we saw a group of dolphins playing and following a large school of fish along the sandbar one morning. My husband did see a sand shark about 3 feet long one day during our stay. I did not see it b/c I was at the pool, but I do believe he saw a shark. He is an avid fisherman, including deep sea fishing. He said that it was just a few feet from him so he got a good look at it. Sand sharks are not dangerous, though.

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

lovelorn2,

I'm just curious, where did you hear or read about the confirmed shark sightings? 18 seems to be a lot of sharks. How did they know they were Bull Sharks? I looked at the Destin and FWB forums and there was no mention of this over there. I Googled as well - nothing. Could it be this is a common occurrence down there to close the beaches for hours due to sharks, so no write ups? I realize there are sharks in the area - goes with territory, and I know about the past attacks, but was just curious where they post this info.

Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

A site called underwatertimes.com it basically tells news about the oceans etc... and the different things that have occured. If you go to that site and look under breaking news and click on the title Florida Beach closed the story will come up.

Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

Story is in second column of list of heading starts with "Everyone Out of the Water"

Tip71tam
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Large fishes swimming on sandbars in front of beachbreak

This is kinda scary!!!!! Well I guess thats the ocean for you. Anyone spot any in PCB??? We will be there in 5 days!!!!! I didn't realize they would come after a sea-doo like that. We take ours on vacation every year with us. Anyway, thanks for the update.