We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In PCB right now...

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
VA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
In PCB right now...

So far PCB hasn't lived up to my expectations but we are here a couple more days so we have high hopes for the remainder of the week.

1) Too many teenagers - maybe its the July 4th holiday week that is making this place a bit unbarable. The cruising on Frontbeach road is out of control - kids are hanging out of windows/sunroofs with liquor bottles in hand and driving up and down frontbeach - they are clearly underage and the cops are not doing anything about the drinking and driving. It took us over an hour to move 4 miles on frontbeach road last night. There really should be a "no cruising" law for frontbeach road (virginia beach just instituted this and it has really really helped the beach reputation)

2) Most restaurants so far have been average to below average. We were really hoping for some good seafood but have yet to find any. Your suggestions are welcome!

So far we have eaten at Harpoon Harry's, P. Willy's, Schooners, Sharkey's, Calypso, and Saltwater Grill.

Love Schooners view and atmosphere - the food was just average but drinks were great.

P.Willy's also has a great atmosphere and the food was better than Schooners.

We have eaten at Sharkey's twice and we had one good meal and one bad one.

Calypso has great nacho's and service but didn't like the rest of our meals.

By far the best meal we have had so far has been at Saltwater Grill (thanks for the suggestion). I highly recommend this place!! The lobster bisque was to die for and the service was amazing.

3) We are staying at Emerald Beach and the location is nice. It is on the west end of the beach where it is somewhat less crowded. There is still a lot to be done on the resort but our actual condo was beautiful. I really wish the sports bar and coffee shop were open.

4) There are some cute new shops on Middle Beach Road - def. check them out.

5) Our beach is ok - it is overtaken with very expensive rental beach chairs ($30 a day) and we can't get a spot close to the ocean. The actual ocean has been great most days - there is a lot of "slim" in the water. I don't know the proper term for it. We can handle it though, :)

Today we are going to drive to Destin and we are very excited about it.

If anyone has suggestions for the rest of our stay, we would love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
364 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In PCB right now...

We just returned from PCB a few weeks ago. We have eaten at Capt Andersons, Boatyard, Pompanos, Angelos, P willys, and Boondocks. I have to say that my fav meal was at Boondocks, but go early (like 4:00) or you will wait a long time. It is kinda hard to find but worth it. If you go west on Fr Bch Rd and turn right onto 98(?) I think thats it. Just before you go over the west bay bridge, you will see a little road to your right called Schoolside or school something. Turn there and turn back to your left. You will see boondocks ahead. I know, I know, you will pull up and think "What in the world?" trust me, the food is great despite your first impression of the building. Our party had everything from fried oysters, catfish, burgers, fried shrimp, scallops, fried dill pickles.

Everyone loved it. It is right on the IC Waterway. We also liked Boatyard really well, also at a marina and can watch the boats and pirate cruise come and go. Great sunset view, too. It has a cuban influence. I got grilled shrimp with rice and grilled plantains. Fabu!

Pompanos was very good also. Capt A's is very expensive and the food was good, but not worth the prices. Not impressed with P Willys at all. Angelos gets mixed reviews but it is our fav steak place.

uncle ernie's and big city fish get good reviews on TA, we are planning on trying them both in October. Good luck, have fun on the rest of your trip, and hope this helps!

Lower Alabama
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In PCB right now...

The Boatyard is a wonderful place to eat and have a wonderful lobster sandwich that alot of people talk about and I love the open air dining , it is nice to watch the boats come and go. Angelos is out of this world {yum,yum}. I read where alot of people say that Pier 77 has good seafood . They say its not much to look at in the way of the building but I hear alot of people talk about it here on the Forum. Boondocks is also a great place , my mom loves it there. We also enjoyed Hammerhead Freds. We were there in May and my favorite places were Angelos, Saltwater Grill, The Boatyard, and Hammerhead Freds. Next time I want to try Pier 77 and Boondocks for sure. Have fun !!!! Yes it is always crowded at this time of year , while we were there in May there was no traffic and very peaceful. Our favorite times to go are May, late Aug, October.

Hoschton, Georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In PCB right now...

asjohnso

For seafood try Boondocks, The Captain's Table, Uncle Ernie's Bayfront Grill or Pompano's. We were in PCB & at Emerald Beach Resort 2 weeks ago and the traffic on FBR was not like that at all. I even commented to my husband that the strip seemed dead compared to previous years. I think it is crazy right now due to the 4th of July holiday. It is always crazy during Spring Break, Memorial Day & the 4th. To avoid FBR all together take a left out of the parking garage & go to Nautilus Street on the left this will bring you onto Panama City Beach Pkwy. and away from all of the traffic or go to the V (where The Fiesta/Casa Loma motel is & veer off to the left and it will put you on Hutchison Blvd. both roads will take you over towards 98 & the Thomas Dr. end with no traffic. Also you can pick up a free PCB visitor's map at the front desk or at any store and you can see the short cuts, restaurants things to do etc.. We always set up our chairs on the beach to the left of the rental chairs and were right on the water. I hope this helps.

GaGirl

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In PCB right now...

we had some people in front of us while down there from Atlanta hanging out their 4 wheelers but other than that it was fairly calm.

Probably is because of the 4th though. Oh well, at least they aren't out doing drugs, they are probably just having some fun cruising.

What do we expect our teens to do with their time if they can't cruise?

Flowery Branch...
Level Contributor
262 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In PCB right now...

I am so....sorry that PCP isn't much of what you expected!!!! Needless to say I know exactly how you feel!!! I know the 1st time I went to PCB as a child was in 82 w/ my parents & they were VERY disappointed with the place. We only stayed 2 days & drove back home. I returned 5 years ago as an adult & again was not impressed at all. That was back before the condo explosion. Upon arrival, there was not any good places to stay anywhere on the beach. If it was an okay place they were booked. We decided to give it another chance the next year & really did grow to love the place due to all of the new places to stay, the activities & good food. I think if you give it a few more days & find some place really good to dine you will feel much better. Take a boat ride out to Shell Island, it's the most gorgeous beach I have ever seen!!!! We too drove out to Destin a couple of weeks ago during our stay at PCB. We enjoyed the scenery & seeing a different place for a change. Also drive into downtown, it's beautiful!!!!! Very old town with Florida landscaping all around. The traffic wasn't that bad & Emerald Beach wasn't that crowded 2 weeks ago. Must be due to the holiday. Do travel Middle & Back Beach rd as much as possible. Try Boondocks, Capt. Anderson's(1 out of 2 experiences was wonderful 2 weeks ago)Angelo's if you like steak or Treasure Ship "Main Dining Room only". We too enjoyed Salt Water Grill 2 weeks ago. A couple of places we ate at too was not at all what we expected. I hope things do get better for you. Believe me I know exactly how you feel. If you give it time & find things you really like PCB can be a very enjoyable place. Have Fun!!!!!

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In PCB right now...

oh, btw, I noticed you said you are staying on the west end. We stayed on the west end as well last year and didn't like it as well as the east end. The sand was actually a bit darker and had hard shells in it on the west end. Don't know if you had that problem or not.

Sorry to hear you haven't enjoyed much of your time there. You're right, the chairs on the beach are pricey. We always take our own fold out beach chairs and umbrella, although we hardly ever open it! That way, we can get in front of all the people in the beach chairs and be closer to the ocean. Anyway, just wanted to add this and I hope the rest of your trip goes better!!!

Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: In PCB right now...

Bradley - thanks for the heads up on how to get to Boondocks. We have considered it and passed it on the way to Ebro, but couldn't figure out how to get there.

atlanta
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In PCB right now...

Hi guys. Have any of you tried Scampy's? It is in the shadow of Treasure Island on Thomas Drive. My wife loves the blackened chicken salad. I had wonderful grouper there. Best of all though are the steaks. We eat there every time we go and have never had a bad meal. The prices are reasonable too. Well, bye for now

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: In PCB right now...

boysofsummer,

I heard the beaches are more "shelly" on the east side of PCB, is that not the case? i.e. Seychelles is shelly and Splash is not. Or does it vary from resort to resort? I didn't hardly see any variance in sand texture up around Destin/FWB.

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
364 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In PCB right now...

We stayed at Boardwalk Condos last month and the beach was very "Shelly". My son collected literally buckets of seashells to bring home. I dont know about the west end. Its been 20 years since i stayed on that end and I never remember shells all over the shore like it is now on the east end. I'm sure someone else can tell you about the west end area.