We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sealife in PCB

Fort Wayne
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Sealife in PCB

I've seen numerous photos and heard a number of stories about Jelly Fish, Sting Rays, and Sharks. Are these three sea creature really this common in PCB? I understand the jelly fish being evident in the waters, but are sharks and sting rays common and if so... are they usually harmful or dangerous? Also, is there any Jelly Fish within the waters in PCB that are deadly or very harmful? I like going out to the sandbars and after reading some things, I don't know if it's so safe.

Thanks

orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sealife in PCB

if you worry too much about what is out there, you will never get in the water

sharks....not so many attacks in the panhandle compared to ponce inlet / new smyrna beach on the atlantic...in pc, just don't swim in the pass or where grand lagoon meets the pass....you could prolly go out to the 2nd and be okay

sting rays and skates are around...just shuffle your feet when you go into the water

jellies...the only ones that are real bad are Portuguese man o war....blueish purple balloons on top of long tentacles...sting really bad and some folks have sever reactions to them....normally they are seasonal

when i go to pc (which i am friday) i am more worried about sand spurs, hot pavement, drunks, broken glass, having to wait for a table at a restaurant, and stinging nettles

Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sealife in PCB

We like to get out in the water and explore when we go to PCB and haven't ever had any problems. We saw our first shark last year and it was pretty little. I was still glad I was out of the water when I saw it though. Just curious about the last person's post about the location of Grand Lagoon meeting the bay. Is that also known as Deep Water Point? I think I know where you are talking about, but want to be sure. I think that may be where my husband & his buddy like to go when they are in "explorer mode".

louisiana
Level Contributor
759 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sealife in PCB

Hello

We are in PCB right now.We have been coming for 25 years and have had no problems besides a couple of jellyfish stings and sunburn,this year we have a high floor condo and today we saw about 10 sharks,there were people close by them but the sharks would go around them..most were small but a few were about 7 ft..

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sealife in PCB

We've been coming to PCB for 7 years...always in Sept....I've never seen a shark.....or I've been stupid, dumb and blind...now I've seen jelly fish and stingrays....leave them alone and they won't bother you....Now there's lots of dolphins...there fun to watch...we snorkel all day and everyday were there right in front of the house we rent and never have a problem....yes I love to go out to the sandbars also.....

Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sealife in PCB

Lolalu,

You saw 10 sharks? Okay now that is a lot! Was it in the evening or early mornng at least? I know to expect them coming closer to shore during those times. Were they out past the first sandbar? I know a lot of people venture out between the first and second and we have been out to the second sandbar, but I don't do that anymore. I don't go past the first sandbar at all anymore.

Not that the sharks don't swim everywhere, but just curious where you are staying.

As far as the stingrays, they are beautiful and stay out of your way. I am not thrilled with the jellies, but, have learned to deal with them.

I am anxious to hear if you see anymore sharks today. We will be there on Saturday--counting down the days!!

indiana
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sealife in PCB

Wow We are leaving sunday to come also and I am now bummed !! We are staying on the 21 floor so we will have a great view of everything out there :)

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sealife in PCB

A friend of mine stayed at Tidewater the week of 6/16 and said she saw 1 shark about 6 ft long and a BUNCH of dolphins. Dolphins are pretty cool but I think I'll pass on the sharks!! LOL!

Thomaston
Destination Expert
for Panama City Beach
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sealife in PCB

The guys who pilot the helicopters will tell you that there are always sharks out there. It is their home after all. If you don't go past the 1st sandbar I would think you would be OK. The destin forum has a good list of things not to do when swimming in the gulf. I can't remember all of them but one was don't wear a lot of bling because it attracts them and don't have a open sore or wound. Also, they feed at dawn and dusk and don't swim around piers because they're attracted to the bait fishermen throw out. We've been coming to PCB for 20 years and I've only seen one up close. He was very small-a baby I think, but I gave him a wide berth and got out of the water. I'm watchful when I go out, but I don't let it keep me from enjoying the water. Try to relax and have fun!

louisiana
Level Contributor
759 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sealife in PCB

hey

we left pcb 2 days ago...we did not see anymore sharks in front of the hotel after the first couple of days however 6 members of my family went seadoing in the bay and saw one.we stayed at spalsh on the west side of the beach...as i said we have been going to pcb a long time and that was the most we ever saw,it was mid-morning ,in between the first and second sand bars,,,the guys who worked the para-sailing said that it was a normal occurance....

louisiana
Level Contributor
759 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sealife in PCB

ps...it is true about not wearing flashy swimwear because a few years ago i had a purple suit w/silver metalic dots and the little fish would peck at me..and remember i saw a lot of sharks but they did NOT mess with anyone....