We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

REVIEW of emerald beach condo

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
REVIEW of emerald beach condo

We just returned last night from our 7 night stay at emerald beach room 227, where we rented through vrbo. At first, I was a bit worried with our room because of the front entrance to it. It does not have the open air entrance into the room where you walk out and see the street from your room. It is enclosed in an area with about 3 other rooms. The only way out is either through the elevator, or there are 2 different sets of stairs. One set takes you to the lobby, the other to the beach. After the first night, we began to get used to it. And, after experiencing the awesome condo, it didn't bother us anymore. The room we stayed in was very nice. the living room was huge. Our balcony, for a one bedroom, was bigger than my sisters, who had a 2 bedroom. So, I was very pleased with that. The only problem we had was the toilet was running when we checked in, and, we had to call the front desk, who sent someone up to fix it. It never was fixed entirely. It ran on and off the entire time we were there. Also there was no remote control to the tv in the bedroom. Small problems that we could handle.

The Actual condo itself was just AWESOME. We travel with no men so, the valet service and the bellmen were a huge help while checking in. They unpacked, and brought our luggage up to us for a small tip.

We had noone to help us out so that was a great help! Also, there was always a parking place available to us. The escalators were great! there were two sets. And, starbucks was also a great thing. The only thing I don't like about them is the tip cup. They don't bring out your drinks or clean up your mess for you. So, I didn't understand the tip cup. Anyway...no biggie.

The night before we left, we were going to pack our car up, and could not find a luggage cart anywhere. We were told they are scarce and hard to find by the bellman, so, we called to have one of them sent up to load our luggage on one of their carts and take it out to the car. We had to call them twice and waited an hour before going down to personally ask one to come up., We were told one wouuld be up within 5 minutes but it took 30. Again, worth it not to have to wait hours to actually find a cart, and, I don't think we ever would have. The bellman didn't speak English and was a bit stressful to try to communicate with him about where our car was etc. We got the luggage over to the car though and everything went well.

The pools were very nice. Both pools on both sides were great. Lots of room and chairs. Everyone at the condo was nice and friendly. Unlike most condos we have stayed at. They were always friendly and spoke to us. Our last two nights, they had a man out in the catwalk area near the bar, playing music.

Oh, both pools have a jacuzzi. They were a bit too hot for us though.

I just loved this condo. At first, I was scared when I was trying to find my way around, that, it may be a bit too much. But, after getting used to how convenient everything was, it was all worth it.

I hope you enjoy my review!!!!

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: REVIEW of emerald beach condo

Oh I almost forgot my review of the restaurants we ate at.

Pompanos - overpriced unless you get the steak.

I ordered the stuffed grouper. I could of cooked it better myself. I was not impressed and the atmosphere was not that great. A little too quiet for me. I like places where everyone is smiling and enjoying themselves. This place seemed to have a lot of pouted up people who all looked like they wish they were somewhere else. Maybe they had the grouper too.

However, my son had steak and it looked pretty good sized for steak. He loved it.

Pier 77 seafood restaurant- I ordered the seafood platter. You get to pick 2 seafood items for your platter. I ordered the stuffed crab and the gulf shrimp. However, the waitress was so goofy, I forgot until I was almost through that I got some kind of fish instead of the gulf shrimp on my plate. It was actually pretty good though. At least I think it was. I couldn't concentrate on my food because the goofy waitress was always at our table trying to kid with my son. She called it giving him lessons on how to eat his crab legs. I called it annoying and wish she would of left us alone so we could enjoy our meal and talk to one another. The stuffed crabs i ate were good, the fish was good, but the hushpuppies were sweet, cold and not good. The 3 leaves of lettuce I got in my salad were good. I suppose if the waitress would of buzzed off, the price of the meal would of been worth the meal. It was cheaper than pompanos but leaving with a headache? I have to give a little kudos to Miss Jenny though. (the waitress.) My son left with some candy that she gave him and I know she was only trying to help by giving him the "lessons." Maybe next time though, just one lesson and then please go away!!!

Captain Jacks- Was actually very good this year. Went there for the crab legs my son loves. It was clean and not that expensive for all the food you get, IF, you can eat that much. My sons was only like 10.95 and he had a ton of crab legs. Compared to the 20.00 at Pier 77 for the crab legs, thats not bad. I stuck to the seafood on the bar. It wasn't bad. I just wasn't that hungry when we ate.

Funland- Yep, funland has done it again! I got the fish and hushpuppies, and it was the best I had on the beach this year. lol. Sad, but true. Piping hot and lots of it. Very cheap too!!! I don't think the fish was gulf fish though, considering it was square, but, it was good. :)

Winn Dixie West Beach- Run down, hateful people in the seafood deli. Decided not to get anything from that, they were so rude.

Anyway, thats my review.

st louis, missouri
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: REVIEW of emerald beach condo

boysofsummer,

Thanks for the report. I wish I was there now! Do you mind giving me the VRBO# you used?

Alabama
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: REVIEW of emerald beach condo

I was also at Emerald Beach Resort last week and thought I would add my two cents! First of all, the room we stayed in was WONDERFUL. It was on the 19th floor, and the view was gorgeous! The room was beautifully decorated, and we loved the layout. The bay window in the master bedroom is very nice, nothing like waking up and the first thing you see is the Gulf! The water was kind of nasty the first day, but after that it was very nice, especially the last few days we were there. We did see some jellyfish (in fact I got stung by one of the little blobby ones!), but they didn’t keep us out of the water. We had lots of luck finding some very pretty shells and some sand dollars out on the sand bar the last couple of days. The staff at Emerald Beach was very friendly and helpful, and we loved having Starbucks onsite. The staffs at both businesses never failed to welcome us and were always helpful and courteous.

Now the negatives..

First of all, and this was probably the most annoying thing, the elevators. I’ll start by saying the elevators were extremely quick and if it didn’t stop at every floor, you were at your floor in a flash. The problem was during the times that housekeeping was cleaning rooms, the elevators would stop on every single floor, and it took forever to get where you were going. It seemed to annoy the housekeeping staff as much as it did the guests. We had several people comment to us about it on the elevator. I don’t know why they didn’t design a building of that size with service elevators for them to use. There continues to be construction and maintenance and these workers are in the same dilemma as the guest. The service elevators could be added to each end of the building before it’s too late. It would have made a HUGE difference. The design from the parking garage to your actual room is a little confusing, but you get used to it pretty quickly, and I think if they had service elevators I wouldn’t have even given the elevators a second thought. Secondly, the pool is on the west side of the complex. This is strictly a personal preference, but I like to be able to step out onto the balcony and see the pool, and most of the condos I’ve stayed in the past have had the pool in the middle of the complex so everyone has a view. We were on the east side and had practically no view of the pool, and since we used the elevators on that side to go down to the beach, we were completely removed from the pool area. I wish they had put the pool in the middle and landscaped the back more to make it look more tropical. Again, that’s just a personal opinion, I’m sure it wouldn’t bother most people at all. The pool on the ocean side was nice, nothing special, but my 16-year-old daughter and her friend loved the pool across the street. That’s where they stayed the entire time. I wish they had put the nicer pool on the ocean side. The security at Emerald Beach seemed to be invisible, which may be good or bad but a higher visibility would be nice. The location of Emerald Beach is wonderful; in my opinion probably one of the best on the beach, and that alone would make me consider staying there again.

While we were there we ate out several times. Our first time out we ate at Pompano’s, which was wonderful, as usual. We had the steak and it was very good. I think my only gripe with Pompano’s is they don’t have free refills on your carbonated drinks, which is unusual. I like the feel of the restaurant, and I love the big paddle ceiling fans!

We also ate at Saltwater Grill, which was also very good. We had Calamari for an appetizer, and it was very tasty. In our party, 2 of us had steak, I had the blackened grouper, and one had the black and white tuna. No complaints from anyone. Very good, and would definitely go back.

The best meal we had, hands down though, was at Bonefish Grill. We went there our last night because it was what we were most looking forward to. The wait time was about 45 minutes, but the entire time we were waiting they were bringing us different appetizers to sample, which we all agreed was a very good idea. We ordered Bang Bang Shrimp and the Cajun Egg Roll for appetizers, and both were amazing. My daughter can’t stop talking about the shrimp! For our entrée, 2 had the sirloin (which at 13.95 is the best deal on the beach!), I had the filet mignon topped with shrimp scampi, and one had the New York strip. All of the steaks were fabulous. The tenderest steak I’ve ever had. Our waiter (I think his name was Josh) was very helpful, helping us decide what to order and giving us his personal opinion, and I also want to note that what he recommended was the sirloin, not the most expensive steak. If you’ve never tried Bonefish Grill, don’t pass it over at the beach just because it’s a chain restaurant, you’ll be missing a wonderful meal!

We also got some home made ice cream at the little shop across from Emerald Beach and it was wonderful too. We ate one night at Five Guys, which is always great, and one night at Zaxby’s.

We went to Shipwreck Island and enjoyed it as always. I still miss Miracle Strip, and it still makes me sad every time I drive by there. I don’t guess I’ll ever get over it closing! We rode the Sea Screamer, which was a blast. My only complaint about it is I wish they would spend less time trying to find dolphins and go farther down the beach. I love seeing the condos from the back, it just gives you a different perspective, and I would love to be able to go all the way down the beach.

All in all it was a wonderful trip, and I can't wait for next year!

Alabama
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: REVIEW of emerald beach condo

Also I want to add to my review of Emerald Beach that there was quite a bit of trash in the sand at times, and the sand had so many shells that at times it was hard to walk. I actually pierced the bottom of my foot with something sharp walking back up to our condo and it still hasn't completely healed. I would think Emerald Beach could have someone pick up the trash on the beach and also possibly filter some of the shells from the sand.

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: REVIEW of emerald beach condo

i agree about the shells. I noticed when we stayed at celedon, the sand on that side has those shells in it too. My son also cutt his foot on a seashell on the way to the ocean. I didnt see any of those shells in the sand last summer on thomas drive, except for down at the water, aside from one here and there.

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: REVIEW of emerald beach condo

If people would pick up after themselves and leave the beach as they found it there would be no need for someone else to pick up somebody else's trash ;o) The trash on the beach was one of my biggest complaints. It gets worse every year.

ATHENS
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: REVIEW of emerald beach condo

We stayed in one of the few studio units. It was wonderful for two. Big, comfortable bed .. large chair, table with two chairs, nice kitchen (no freezer but large ice maker), big bathroom ....large tub, big closet. Large ocean view balcony with table and two chairs. They could have put a loveseat/sofa to improve on furnishings, but all in all it was beautiful and plenty big. Parking at Emerald Beach is a maze, but one gets use to it and adapts. Drinks from tiki bar at ocean side pool were TERRIBLE and watered down. We just made our own. Staff at Emerald Beach were friendly and kept us informed as to the happenings with the patrol cars, red flags, etc. Disappointed at red flag locations and often lack of flags, but we were told that's the city's responsibility.

Marietta Ga
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: REVIEW of emerald beach condo

Gapollyanna

i agree w/ you 100% about the flags the need to be more of them and also need to be more noticeable had i not left to go to the store i wouldnt have have ever known about the double red flags

9. Re: REVIEW of emerald beach condo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 23:19