We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

For the last 27 + yrs DH and I have been to PCB almost every summer. We've always taken 65 to 231 into PCB. From our driveway to the parking lot of our condo it's 500 miles, 8 hrs...we know this route w/our eyes closed. BUT, we're considering a different route to avoid Dothan which is becoming crazier every year. How about taking 231 to Troy and then connecting to 167 through Enterprise and then 79 after crossing the FL state line. Has anyone taken this route and what has your experience been? We took 331 one year and found it to actually take longer for us b/c our condo is on the east end of the beach and 331 is closer to the west end. DH's concern is w/167 being a 2 lane road, you won't be able to drive as fast as on 231 since it's a 4 lane. Plus if you get behind a person driving really slow, you're stuck until they either turn off or you can pass them. However, we also realize there are less towns you have to go through which eliminates the stop and go traffic of Dothan. We just want the shortest and fastest route to The Beach!!

Here's another silly question....when I65 was made, why didnt' they make it to go straight down to FL beaches instead of curving toward Mobile??? Because it's a major seaport???

Thanks for any input and feed back you can share.

Karen

st. charles...
Level Contributor
241 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

Headed to PCB this Friday from STL. Last time we went on hwy 231 for the last leg of the trip though Dothan. Map Quest is saying to stay on 65 jog on 84, then 331. does anyone know if the 331 as described is faster than going 231? Also, why do I hear so many people saying avoid Dothan?

IN
Level Contributor
457 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

Karen, I normally take 65 - 231 - 167 - 79.

I tried 231 through Dothan one year and I said never again. Dothan had horrendous traffic and was one huge headache (literally). I followed 231 to I10 and took it over to 79. Traffic was bumper to bumper from Dothan to I10. Personally, I don't care if it is longer, I like my normal route better. There's hardly any traffic on 167 & 79 and if you do come up on a slower car, it's very easy to pass them. Besides, my hotel is only a few blocks from the Y intersection.

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

Is 167 and 79 2 lane or 4 lane?

Bryant, AL.
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

167 is 2-lane except when your in the small towns. I used to go to PCB at least 3 or 4 times a year and have tried just about every route there is. The 167/79 route is by far the fastest way to travel for me. You will encounter many slow cars on this route. If you dont want to go over the speed limit or if you just stack up behind them instead of passing then its probaly not the route for you. Do a search on the other post about this route I wrote about the distance vs. time traveled on this when we returned back in March. Its called directions and I bumped it up for you.

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

Rocketman......Thanks for your post and bumping up the other one. We still don't know. DH is concerned we'll run into a big wreck or slow trafic so I'm not sure. I think we should give it a shot but I guess we'll just wait to decide as we get closer.

Thanks again!!

Karen

indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

This year at Spring Break I took 65-231 to troy and turned off onto 167 to 79 and I loved it much better then 231 all the way down. I understand about coming out on the wrong side normally I stay on the east side to but it was well worth it not to have to go thru Dothan. 79 comes out just west of Pier Park if that helps.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Now if we could find a faster way thru Montgomery after you get off 65 that took us for ever to get to 167.

Dickson, TN
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

Karen,

If you are willing to go over 55MPH then the 167/79 route is best. I live close to where you do and it took around 7 hours last year to make it home the 167/79 route. There are plenty of straight stretches to pass. Of course, we stay on the west end of PCB near the end of Front Beach Rd. so if you stay closer to Panama City, then 231 may be your best bet. It doesn't hurt to give 167/79 a chance, I think you'll like it. Let me know if you have any questions about this route.

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

Thanks for the feedback Gang! I think we're going to give it a shot. Yea, DH has no problem going over 55!! ;) I have a little bit of a lead foot and will go 5 over posted speed limit but DH goes 10 over --or more!! LOL! Are their many radar traps? That's a concern. Also places to stop and go potty or eat a bite...altho we usually wait until we through Montgomery for breakfast at Hardee's. It's a good halfway point and usually ready for a break by then.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

just returned and I went 167 thru Enterprise- easy as pie

louisville
Level Contributor
237 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 231 vs 331 vs 167 .....the debate continues.....

We'll be traveling from Louisville and the directions I got from Mapquest have road numbers that I'm not familiar with-maybe someone on this forum can tell me what towns we're going through-hwy 106 south of Montgomery toward georgiana-from there hwy 31 toward Andalusia-Hwy 31 will become Hwy 55. we stay on 55 until Florala where we get on 331 South-to 20 East until we get to Ebro-in Ebro we take 79 south to Alt 98 at the beach.

Is this route familiar to anyone?