We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
GA
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

Friday - Monday

The weather couldn't have been more perfect. 80's and sunny.

Calypso was beautiful. I would definitely recommend it. The pool was clean and warm, and I have never seen such a clean poolside restroom. It sparkled, there had to be a cleaning person just stationed there. Also LOVED the no hands foot sprayer thingy when you come off the beach. We had a west end corner unit so the wrap around view was amazing, so many shades of blue!

Sea Dragon Pirate Cruise was worth every penny! The kids had a blast, even the older ones. I was amazed how they kept them busy the entire time. The drinks and snacks were reasonable, the music was fun, the pirates were patient and hillarious, just a great time!

Gulf World was also fantastic. We loved that it was small and not as commercial-like as Sea World. It's really nice for little ones, you can sit up close for the shows, no waiting in lines and it's not a super tiring long hot day kind of place. It was also clean with reasonably priced snacks.

Shukums was ok, asked for butter with the oysters and got cold packages of butter, lol, thought an oyster place would know to give you drawn butter?

Dusty's oysters were better, but beer and wine only, so no pina colada : ( and the clam chowder was pretty bland, but the wings were good.

Did a pub crawl at Pier Park so we had the spicy egg rolls and the sweet potato fries at Reggae J's which were good but we all thought they could have used some better dipping sauces.

We had a pretzel at the beer garden which was hot and yummy and big enough for all of us to share, surprised they didn't have Yager, but the guitarist played us a John Prine song, so all was good.

The kids did the caurosel and the jump thing which I thought for $10 wasn't bad.

We ran into Tootsies to dance with the kids to Steve Earl's Copperhead Road for a second. The band sounded really good and kids are allowed until 9:00 but it seemed too adult like to stay long.

We ended with sharing a cheeseburger at Margaritaville which was good, but I had to send my pina colada back because it was sour. The music was terrible, ear piercing loud, couldn't hear the waiter and the kids were miserable. The one at Universal just plays JB videos on a big screen, so we were kind of surprised.

We only tried places that were walkable, so we never had a knock your socks off meal. The Calypso Cafe was also just ok. Sis and

Bil said the Back Porch was really good but expensive.

I'd have to the best place we ate at over all was the Beach Club. The kids meals were big, the sandwhiches were all hot on fresh rolls, and the service was excellent.

Dh and bil did some fishing from the pier, but no luck. They got the frozen bait from Wal-mart. Thank you all for that info.

Boy, I never knew what double red flags meant before this trip. How scary! We heard that there were a few drownings, but didn't inquire more or listen to the news. We preferred to think/hope that maybe they were rescues and not drownings while we were there....read about them on line this morning, prayers out to those families.

The beach police did an excellent job of warning people. We heard sirens and saw them fly down the beach a couple of times, saw the red flag airplane fly over twice, and we saw the helicopter come down over the water 4 different times to tell people to get out of the water and with binoculars down the beach farther we saw what might have been a rescue.

We had a fantastic time. Can't wait to go back. Maybe next year we'll hit the Seafood festival. We decided to take the scenic route in but did 79 to 10 on the way home and it was a lot faster...followed all the other GA people : )

Thanks everyone for all the info, hope this helps someone else.

Alabama
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

Glad you had a gret time.. Just wanted to give you some restaurant suggestions for next time ! My favorite is the Boatyard !! We love it there. Boondocks is also good . Saltwater Grill for early bird specials.. Most of the good places you will have to drive to ..

GA
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

Thanks so much! We thought about trying the Boat Yard or J Michaels after the pirate cruise since they're right there, but the kids were wiped out. We should have. I will definitely put those on the list for next time. Thanks!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

Nice report! We were in PCB back in August, and it was HOT!!!

Glad you had a great time.................

Marietta Ga
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

Glad you had a great trip we have also seen first hand about the double red flags and all that drama with the rescues and drownings. Its really sad that people dont follow directions but anyways great trip report

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

Great trip report! Glad you had a great time. I've never seen rough waters except for one time when we were in Jamaica. There was a tropical storm coming in and the waves were crashing into their boardwalk really hard and actually took off some of the railings. They had such a small beach at the resort we were at, we didn't even walk down to see how things were down there. I can't believe people would even get in the water when it's like that! It's so sad. My heart goes out to those families

When you had the double red flags...was there a storm?

IN
Level Contributor
457 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

Thanks for the trip report. I'm heading down in Feb. and staying at The Calypso. Oh, and another vote for The Boatyard.

GA
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

That was the scary part about the riptides The skies were blue, no clouds or wind, and the water was beautiful, no huge crashing waves, white caps or fast moving rushes of water, nothing that the average person could see.

I'm not sure if there had been storms before we got there or not. We go to Daytona sometimes and the water looked calm compared to the Atlantic side. I noticed that the sound of the waves was quieter the morning they put up the yellow flags, but that was the only difference I could see.

We saw signs on our way down explaining the red flags, so I think PCB does a good job educating and warning people. Plus, we could clearly see 3 sets of flags from our window, and there were signs at the bottom of our steps to the beach, but there were still people going into the water.

Georgia
Level Contributor
477 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

I totally agree with you about Margaritaville. We tried to go there last year and actually got up and left because it is so "ear piercing loud" in there. I guess if you ate outside would not be bad but inside is unbearable.

GA
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

Wow, so it's like that all the time....I would think that they'd get that it's not spring break all year and maybe tone it down a bit when it's Griswald season.

The one at Universal is our favorite restaurant to take the kids to in Orlando, parrot hats, people on stilts doing big animal balloon animals, servers are kid aware and do things like bring their food out first with extra plates, whisper do you want desert, lol. I know it's because it's Orlando, but I guess it spoiled us.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back- Calypso, Sea Dragon, Gulf World, Red Flags

The waters can deffinatly be deceptive i went into the water one day when it was red flags and just stood on a shallow area of sand when a wave pulled me back, then i found myself getting pulled further out. luckily i didnt panic and swum sideways till i found water with less current. Can deffinatly see why lot of people get into trouble and unfortunatly drown.