We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning about cancelled bookings

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Warning about cancelled bookings

Let my misfortune be a warning to you > I had booked a room at the Sunbird months ago and a couple of days before my visit to PCB, i got a call to say my booking had been transferred to the Summit because Hurricane Katrina refugees were still staying at the hotel. Fair enough. I was also told that I would get a 50% discount at the Summit in consideration. Great! However, I failed to checkout the Summit before going down there and to my dismay, I found the place to be horrible (see review). The standard rate was 50% cheaper - there was no discount - and for good reason. So, if you get a call like I did, make sure you checkout the new place before you agree to it.

Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning about cancelled bookings

where is your review I would like to check it out

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning about cancelled bookings

review of the Summit is posted - though the only thing you need to know, is to give it a miss

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning about cancelled bookings

Sorry that you had such a bad time. Thanks for the feedback,tho.

IL
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning about cancelled bookings

You should be ok though if you rented through one of the rent by owner sites.

USA
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning about cancelled bookings

Actually, they would have been better off if they had not rented from the owners. There are laws in Florida that govern management companies, but not owners.

Sorry about your bad experience.

IL
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning about cancelled bookings

Owners for the most part keep their places updated. I always look at the rent by owner type sites now.

atl
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning about cancelled bookings

As a Summit Owner who rents to individuals; anytime you rent from an owner make sure you have pictures to view and ask how current they are. Also, you can ask an owner for a referral list of prior guest. These questions should be asked when ever you rent from an owner. Most properties are owned by individuals for the units, some owners take pride in there unit and keep them up to date; other just see it as an income opportunity and probably never stay there themselves. Always ask questions to protect yourself.