We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

atlanta
Level Contributor
145 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

been using vrbo for about 10yrs for summer vacation rentals.. never one issue., send deposit pay in full 30day prior to coming, leave get deposit back,, no issues.. looking for a large unit for July 4th or my family, and finally ready to make a deposit.. called the owenr four times on two diffrent numbers,, no calls back, finally emailed me a three page, lease agreement, with a 500.00 deposit!! wanting 50% now and 50% 30days out... a full legal lease agreement, and stated that until my money reaches her,,, she has the right to rent to someone else... as in,, even though the deposit is mailed... until she gets it the unitl will not be held.. and again the same for the 50%???? Does any other normal renter find this suspicous???? I hate to feel like a criminal while spending thousands of my dollars, almost ready to just go with someone else... I understand that a deposit must be made but most people ask for 200-300 which is plenty in my opionin renting to 6 adults with an 82yr in the crowd??? Thoughts.. would be most appreicated..

ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

I have rented from VRBO many times over the last several years and never had a negative issue.

I always enter into a conversation (via email or phone) over several days or even weeks with the owner.

This allows me to gauge the owners integrity. It also allows the owner to get to know me and my family. After all, trust is a major factor in this kind of rental agreement.

I have walked away from units where I thought the price was too low or the conversation sent off warning bells in my head.

I recently let what looked like a beautiful two bedroom Tuscan villa in Lake Las Vegas go because i felt the owner was being unreasonable in his rental agreement (even though the price was excellent)

I eventually paid more per night but that arrangement worked out very well

My advice is this: if you are not 100% comfortable with this rental agreement, then look elsewhere.

There are litterally thousands of rental units and I'm sure that you can find one that makes you comfortable about the whole process.

You don't need to stress about your vacation!

Texarkana, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

I agree with the above poster and since you have warning bells going off I would look for another rental.

There are far too many great places in PCB.

Marietta Ga
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

I agree with the others i think you should go else where bc i think she should give you a certain amount of days to recieve your payment then she should do accordingly but i have seen high deposits for more upscale properties go with your gut on this one you work hard to to pay for vacation and i wouldnt want to be playing around with lots of money floating around I hope all goes well for you

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

When in doubt, don't...

We're spending a week @ Calypso in August.

The unit owner (also went thru VRBO) required a $200 sec. deposit.

We actually just recently mailed in our final payment. Took care of that when we received our tax refund. One less thing to worry about ...

Good Luck!

Naomi :-)

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

When we rented a bigger condo last year there was a $500 deposit that held the room then turned into a damage deposit. I didn't feel that was too unreasonable considering the size and cost of stuff in the place.

I do find the attitude unreasonable in your case, so much now and them saying they aren't going to hold the room while you get payment to them? Also, if you can't get a hold of them now what if there is a problem?

We had no problems and the place was great for a lot of people with 2 kings, 2 queens and bunk beds in a 3 bedroom. http://www.vrbo.com/50223 Really the only odd thing, if you can call it that, you had to pay with a money order/certified check, which I can understand not wanting to pay transaction fees, we just made sure to send trackable through UPS.

Some things I like to do, research the owners on google. Search the numbers, look at the addresses they match up to, see if you can find a business. For me, the more I can connect the person on the other end to a real person and life, the better I feel. You can also search property records online and make sure the name matches the condo owner's.

Edited: 26 April 2010, 04:45
Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

My guess is that this owner probably got burned at some point so this may be justified to some degree. However, that being said everyone above is right and I am a strong believer in gut feelings. So if you are in doubt keep looking.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

I think I would look else where also. I do not see any problem with the 500 deposit. That is the going deposit in other areas for upscale condos/houses. We have had to pay 50% of our rent when we have been to the mountains before, no problem there. What I find strange is the person saying that they can rent it out after you send your deposit. Every time we have rented the owners have held for at least 10 days. If I have trouble getting in touch with the owner then I do not rent from them either. I totally agree with the other poster that said if it feels wrong do not do it.

atlanta
Level Contributor
145 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

Thanks to everyone who replied.. If may not deter some but I for one have never been asked such a high deposit on a week long vacation rental.. if we were talking spring break sure.. i completely understand with that being said, when someone is looking for a rental, it is a big turn off to be treated as if you are a criminal or ask to start signing contracts? We are renting right not buying a condo for a week.. There is a happy ending found what I hope is a nice place at Hidden Dunes.. never stayed there before. but super nice owner, very promptly returned calls and emails.. that makes me feel more comfortable.. Thanks again to all my friends in TA land. :)

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

As an owner of a rental in PCBeach I find this very interesting. I have a one page contract, require a $200 security deoposit, and the full amount 30 days in advance.

When I get your deposit the condo is yours and I mark it off on vrbo, etc. It's still fair game until then, though, so using a credit card seals the deal quicker. I am thinking about increasing the deposit but until/unless I do, I require a credit card number even if you are paying by check. Believe me $200 doesn't go very far where damages are concerned. It cost me more than that just to replace the sleeper mechanism of my one-year-old sofa after some unsupervised kids thought it was a trampoline.

I anwer emails almost daily and have two good phone numbers for people. Find a different place. It's not hard. How about mine ?? LOL

10. Re: Anyone familar with this rental process?? I am worried

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 04:15