We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
louisiana
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

The last couple of years I have noticed huge holes being dug on the beach.I can understand kids digging but this is ridiculous.I have seen holes about 10 feet in diameter and about 4 feet deep.It is dangerous for people walking on the beach at night and it is terrible for the sea turtles that are nesting and could easily get stuck in these holes.I love the beaches and the endangered sea turtles(made more endangered becasue of this oil probably)If your children want to dig holes please have them fill them in when they are done.Let's do what we can to keep the beaches we love beautiful,Thanks,Seaneen

Slinger, WI
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

I'm not sure how to even respond to this..... Are there a lot of news stories of people being injured after falling in holes on the beach? I didn't realize that the #1 cause of emergency room trips in PCB was because of sand hole falls. Kids have been digging holes in beaches since the beginning of time. I don't think they need to stop now.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

gabsmom, you're kidding, right? The OP doesn't say the "#1 cause of emergency room trips in PCB was because of sand hole falls", only that they are dangerous, and I agree. I noticed this on other beaches, and it is dangerous. As far as "kids have been digging holes in beaches since the beginning of time", WHAT??? No, you obviously don't know how to respond to this post.

Slinger, WI
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

Uh, yeah, I do know how to respond to this post. I think it's ridiculous to complain about kids digging holes in the sand at the beach. Period. What's not to get?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

There is nothing wrong with diggingholes in the sand. What is wrong is leaving them when it starts to get dark. Not only could someone break a leg, but sea turtles are very endangered as is, and the oil situation is causing even more concern. Leave a large hole on the beach, and a turtle could be killed, or at least return to the sea to lay their eggs on the water--in other words none of those eggs will hatch.

The saying "Take only pictures, and leave only footprints" is even more inportant now with all that is happening on our beaches. Fill in those holes, take your trash and chairs, level the castles, etc. Mother Nature is already upset with us. We are the creatures that are not native to the beach, and we need to remember that!

Bryant, AL.
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

Thank you Kris, couldn't have said it any better myself.........

indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

I have to say when I first read this topic I laughed, with the the oil spill going on in the ocean and someone writes a topic like this. Yes when I come to PCB my kids and the kids that come with me dig holes in the sand and yes they see how big they can get them. Thats part of being a kid and playing in the sand all day but I have to say before we leave the beach I make them fill all of the holes in. I don't want anyone falling and getting hurt. I'm also one of these people that if I could save all creatures in the sea I would so I will do my part and returning the sand the way it was found. Anthony who we rent our beach chairs from is also looking out for holes in the sand. Before he leaves at night he makes sure that all holes are filled in in front of the resorts that hes in charge of. So I guess my point is kids are going to be kids and we can't take the fun out of digging holes but as parents be also need to teach our children to be responible and fill them in.

KY
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

I honestly don't see the problem with kids digging holes. Mine love to play in the big ones left by other people. I would rather see a hole than a tent left up overnight, trash on the beach and especially oil.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

I agree with Love Florida and kris. No problems with holes- great fun for kids.

But they are dangerous esp this time of year for our endangered sea turtles who have enough on their plate with the oil spill w/o having to deal with lazy parents who don't ask the kids to fill them in at the end of the day. Residents are even asked to make sure they fill them in, and remove all other temp beach structures like tents etc.

And of course they can damaged night tike beach walkers too.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

I wouldn't have thought much about this but I saw an episode of 60 minutes or one of those shows where they covered the big holes on the beach and there have actually been kids who dug really deep holes like that and were inside the hole playing when a side of it collasped and they smothered before anybody could get them out. so while it doesn't look fun, it can be dangerous.

Columbus, Georgia
Level Contributor
355 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's with people digging huge holes on the beach?

I agree....kids are gonna dig holes. I also agree....the parents should make sure they are covered before leaving the beach for the day. Taking a phrase from Mr. Miagee (The Karate Kid movie) and changing a few words..."no such thing as bad kids, only bad parents. Parents say, kids do"....or don't do.