We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to visit Shell Island

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to visit Shell Island

Family of 7 on a budget, one child with small medical concerns, looking for the most efficient way to visit the island. Any insider tips for buget friendly visit? Also, any information on Landmark Holiday Beach Resort?

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to visit Shell Island

St. Andrews State Park has a shuttle boat service to the Island. I'm not sure what the prices are but I think it is probably the cheapest way to get there.

Smyrna, TN
Level Contributor
196 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to visit Shell Island

I definitely recommend the shuttle from St. Andrews State Park. There is a small entrance fee to the park and the price of the shuttle to Shell Island but its still cheaper and takes less time than taking the boats from the marinas. During the summer the shuttle runs quite often so you won't have to wait very long coming or going. Just remember that there are no facilities on Shell Island (no food, restrooms, etc.)

There's a nice beach area in the park near the store (with a kiddie area) and picnic areas so its a nice place to spend the day.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to visit Shell Island

St. Andrews beaches have great shells. Don't waste your $ on shell island. Everyone getting off the boat said it was a rip-off.

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to visit Shell Island

I've heard there are some awesome shells to be found on shell Island.

We went to the Kiddie pool and the beach side at st. andrews. My son found a huge shell out in the ocean, but, pretty much so that's the only shell we found worth finding the whole day. Everything else was tiny or broken.

The one he found was larger than a hand and in tact!

The only problem with shell Island is there are no bathrooms or Vending machines, etc. You are pretty much so stuck until the shuttle comes back. If you go to just the beach at st. andrews, which is just georgous, they have a store, and restrooms.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to visit Shell Island

Thank you for the feedback. Can you tell me about how long the boat ride is to Shell Island? Also, does anyone know anything about Landmark Holiday Beach Resort? Thank you.

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to visit Shell Island

It took us about 10 minutes to get there. We caught a bus that took us to a dock then boarded the boat to the island. The bus was caught at the store near the "kiddie pool" at st. andrews. Then, it took us and dropped us off where we walked a short distance to the dock. After getting on the boat, it took about 10 minutes after everyone was on board. There are several diffeerent areas to catch a boat though.

7. Re: Best way to visit Shell Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 05:18