We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

I will start off with the condo. We stayed at Calypso. We have never stayed there before and were excited. We had a 2 bedroom plus bunkroom on the 12th floor. We rented through an agency so we already had our key code and no need to check in. It was busy when we arrived. I knew it would be, it was 4:30 on Saturday and everyone was arriving. There are no luggage carts at this resort!! We had to stand by the security officer waiting for a cart to be returned. Once there was a cart returned he took our name and room number and cart number and said we had 15 minutes. He said if we did not have the cart back in 15 and he had to come get it we would be charged $25! I just laughed and said whatever. We had 6 people with us and a lot of stuff and there was a least a 15 minute wait for elevators because we had to make 2 trips. We had the cart for about 30 minutes and nothing was said when we returned it. After getting groceries that night-no cart or buggy to be found, so several trips with the groceries. Friday night when we were packing same thing-no carts. We saw several people wandering around looking for carts. That was crazy!

Our condo was nice and clean. Carpet was stained in several places though. We had plenty of room. The bunk room was plenty big for 2 12 year olds. The kitchen was stocked well, No complaints with our room. The complex was nice and always clean. There was never a chair by the pool for the whole 7 days we were there until late in the afternoon. I don't know what time these people got up the save their chair but when I would go out about 8 they were all gone. The tiki bar was ok. The first day it was closed all day because the bartender was sick. The wait to get a drink was long because there were always a group of kids at the bar ordering virgin frozen drinks and 1 bartender. The bartender seemed annoyed the few times I did get a drink so I just quit trying to buy there. Beach was crowded everyday but we were always able to find a place to put our chairs. I liked being so close to Pier Park. My favorite condo so far is still a 3 brm at Treasure Island or Gulf Crest.

As far as the beach. No oil at all. We did see people walking looking for tar balls but they had not found any while we were there. Red flag on Saturday and yellow the rest of the week. The water had a lot of algae. It seemed better towards the end of the week. No seaweed or jelly fish did we see. Very hot-a few days a very little breeze but most days had a good enough breeze so we were not miserable.

The only negatives were having no carts, long elevator waits, no pool chairs, kids crowding the bar and cranky bartender and the algae and heat! So overall I would say we had a great trip and I would not discourage anyone from staying a Calypso just know these things.

Marietta Ga
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

Love your report and you were right it was red on saturday we were right there the next condo over to the west did you go out to eat anywhere or do any attractions. i guess calypso must have been really busy At first sterling breeze was empty but as the week went on we started seeing more people also i forgot to add to those wondering about tents we had one and lots of others up all week with no issues glad you had a great time

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

Yes we ate out every night. I was just afraid my review was rambling enough without including that! We did Schooners (grouper sand. was great) no wait at all, Hooters(wings were not good and fish sand. not good) about 30 minute wait, Mellow Mushroom(great pizza as always) wait about 30 minutes, Capt Jacks(it is a buffet, the kids love the crab legs) no wait, Went to Salt Water Grill was told it would be a 2 hr wait so we left. Shuckums(oysters were good-crab cakes there USED to be my fav-awful now. They have changed the recipe and I hated them.) Ate at Calypso(it was ok) no wait there.

Attractions-no not really. kids rode go carts and went to Pier Park a few nights.

Calypso was crowded! Wish I had been at your condo! Plenty of tents on the beach. All the one's down by us were left up the entire week, in the evening they would take the cover off but leave the frame up. They did not have them put up in front of they rental chairs.

Countdown for the next trip has began.........11 weeks to go!

Marietta Ga
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

your trip report wasnt rambling lol i love sterling breeze bc its is smaller i think alot of people choose Calypso bc they can walk to Pier Park how are those pools they look too small to accomadate such big buildings?

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

Thats great info to know about the carts! After traveling long hours, nobody wants to go through that. That's what I LOVE about Emerald beach. The bell boys get your luggage right up to you when you check in and when you leave. When we stayed at Celedon, and seychelles, we had a hard time finding the carts too. I thought I might like to try Calypso next time, but come to think of it, I think I will just stick with Emerald. Great trip report!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

That is the ONLY reason we decided on Calypso. I have a 17 (almost 18) year old and he was taking a friend. We did not want them constantly asking for the car and not real comfortable with him driving our only car down there every night. This allowed them to walk to Pier Park and hang out. The pools are not big enough for the large buildings in my opinion. My daughter could always get in and swim but it was crowded. It seems like the whole complex is crammed into too narrow of a space, The outside corridors are very narrow. If you could ever find a luggage cart, only one could fit down the hall. So if one was coming you had to turn completely sideways to let it pass. The pools were narrow and the concrete around the pool was narrow, not allowing enough space for enough chairs. I have not stayed or seen Sterling Breeze. We have been into or stayed at several condos but not them.

boys-I wish we had the bellman service-that would have been so much better.

Glad you both had great trips too. We should have met up while we were there!

Marietta Ga
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

thats funny bstman all of us were right next to each other all week and you never know we might have seen each other out and never knew thanks for the info on the pool bc thats always what has stopped me from staying there i like the idea of the bellboys but i wouldnt stay at emerald beach too big the front pool looks too small and i dont like the idea of having to go across the walkway to the bottom of the parking deck (beside it) to take 3 small kids that pool

IN
Level Contributor
457 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

Thanks for the trip report. I always enjoy reading all of them even if I don't comment.

I stayed at The Calypso in the middle of February through the 28th. I'm sure it was less crowded then but we had to wait on the elevators too. I imagine being on the 17th floor didn't help our situation any. We never had a problem with the carts...there were always plenty. You're right though....the outside corridors are extremely narrow.

I would go out about 9:00 or 10:00 to grab a chair by the pool and some days I almost didn't get one. The pools ARE too small (and narrow) and there are not enough chairs in the off-season much less the peak season. I don't know if you had the same bartender at the Tiki Hut but he was totally obnoxious. I started calling him the "HEEEYYYYYY, HOW YOU DOOOIIINNNNNN" bartender as that was his standard greeting to everyone who walked out. I couldn't even drown him out with my MP3 player while laying out by the pool.

Overall, the resort is very nice but I will probably try a different one if I go the condo route again. I booked my room through VRBO and our friends booked theirs through Bookit. Our room had the same layout and the same furnishings with only a few differences. Theirs was a lot more run down though.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

I told my husband that if we stay there again during off season the cart situation and pool chairs may be better. I guess we had a differnt bartender. The one working everyday was a female. She never said a word to anyone that I saw. She would just look at me when it was my turn, make my drink and tell me the price. There was no hello, what will you have, thanks and come back-nothing! I try not to judge any condo to harsh during peak season. I did like the location and our room was nice other than the stained carpet.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

We arrive @ Calypso next Friday 8/6, staying thru Sat 8/14. Renting 3BR thru Vrbo.

Quick question for those of you that have stayed there...can you please explain the outside corridor? I assumed you get off the elevator, go down a hallway to ur unit, etc

We're gonna be on the 4th floor (East Tower) if that makes a difference...

Thanx,

Naomi :-)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report-Calypso-7-17 trhu 24

Naomi-Yes that is right. There are 3 elevators for each tower. They are located in the middle of each tower. When you get off the elevator you will have to go down the outside corridor to your unit. Beware, these are very narrow. Two luggage carts can not pass one another. Hopefully the cart situation will be better for you! Hope you have a great trip!