We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

I haven't been to PCB in nearly twenty years. I grew up going there very summer as a kid. Although we are going to Myrtle Beach this year, we plan to go to PCB next summer. I have twin 9 year old boys. Does anyone have recommnedations for a condo resort that would suit us well? Ideally, we would enjoy a waterslide and lazy river, but neither seem to be prevalent down there. Thanks.

Alabama
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort could be perfect for your family! We stay there all of the time! It is an older hotel but it seriously makes up for all of it with all of the fun amenities, activities and it being settled right on the beach!

As for your twins, they are going to LOVE the turbo slide pool, indoor pool and lazy rive ride, outdoor pools, and hot tub, mini putt putt course, arcade room, ice cream shop, seasonal activities...need I go on? : )

And if you are looking for a condo, the Sandpiper owns some right next door so you can still have access to all of the amenities on the property!

Here is the link to their website: http://www.sandpiperbeacon.com

Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

Check out Splash Resort, it's perfect for kids! Water slides, splash buckets, water cannons, lazy river, dive-in movies, arcade, free movie rentals, etc. My children are 8 and 5 and they LOVE it!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

We looked at both the Sandpiper Beacon and Splash but went with Splash because we were able to get a much better rate from VRBO than Sandpiper Beacon quoted us ($600 difference).

Also, Sandpiper Beacon is supposedly quite a bit older and possibly more run-down. I remember quite a few threads on here with people asking questions about that and some people answering yes. There are also people on here who love it though, so who knows.

This will be our first time at Splash and I'll definitely write a trip report when we get back in early August. The water slides at Splash may be too small for your boys but it may also depend on what kind of kids they are.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

We too are looking for the same a hotel w/waterslides for our girls. We are going in August and i didnt get any crazy high rates, The Beacon actually has special stay 5 nights get 2 free so for a 2 room suite i was quoted $745 for the 7 nights which i think is a fabulous price considering all you get for the kids. Again, but mixed reviews are making me nervous to stay at Beacon but seems to be the only one with all we are looking for (slides, lazy river, activities).

Edited: 05 June 2011, 11:37
Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

I looked at the Splash Resort and it looks very nice. However, I think my boys may now be too old for the slides etc. there. I am a little hesitant to consider the Sandpiper. It has been there since I was a kid in the 70's and it looked old then. We will be driving from Maryland, which is about a 16 hour drive. My wife has never been to the gulf so I probably won't take the risk of staying at an older motel when there are so many extremely nice resort there now for such good rates. I am looking at the Majestic Resort. I found a two bedroom unit / 2 bath that includes beach setup and free netflix movies for about $750 for a week in August. It has a couple of indoor pools and a couple of outdoor pools and has a movie theater in the resort. It is located in Long Beach, which is one concern I have about it, but for the price, it looks really nice. I found the rental through Schulstad Rentals, which seems to have good reviews on here. I hate it so much that the Miracle Strip is gone, but very happy that Shipwreck Island is still there. and Goofy Golf! I want to share a bit of my childhood with my boys.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

I think you've made a good choice. I only know of Splash and Sandpiper Beacon that have the "waterpark" type feel, but the jury is out on Sandpiper and I wouldn't take the chance of staying there. There's someone that posts about Sandpiper constantly on this forum, but they are apparently an employee so I would take everything that person says with a grain of salt. If you're interested in Sandpiper for a future visit, take a tour of it while you're there during your visit and make an informed decision. Quite honestly, the beaches and water are so beautiful that I think your kids will be more interested in hanging out at the beach than anything else. I have a 9 year old son and almost 6 year old daughter, and they were happy enough with the beach side pool and Gulf! Enjoy your vacation!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

Oh, also, a few of the Miracle Strip are now at Pier Park. They're probably too small for your kids, but there's still plenty to do at Pier Park for older kids to enjoy.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

Thank you Kelsum02. Do you drive from Wisconsin to PCB? That must be a very long drive.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

Yes! We drive every year and it IS a long drive, but we've done it so many times now I could drive it in my sleep. We stop south of Nashville on the way down and drive straight through (yes, straight through) on the way back. Unfortunately there are no direct or decent flights from the Milwaukee area yet.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo resort with water slide and lazy river

We too have a long drive from NJ 20 hours, so i think it makes alot of sense after driving all that way not too book Sandpiper not knowing exactly what we are getting into. I have one too many times have stayed a places that got mixed reviews usually 3 1/2 star rating from TA and even though deep down i had a bad feeling about it, the reviews turned out to be correct or even worse so I have learned from this and dont want to make a mistake a 3rd time.