We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe places for dog to swim

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
166 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Safe places for dog to swim

Hi! We are going to PCB next week!

We are bringing our dogs with us. Our german shepherd is a senior dog and we let him swim for exercise. Are there any safe places for dogs to swim in or around PCB? I know there is water everywhere but the gulf won't work with the rough water because he is very unsteady on his feet due to hip problems.

Thanks

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

This is going to be a tough one. The only beach in the entire county that you can take your dog to legally is the one across from pier park. You may get lucky and get a calm day with no waves, usually happens later in the summer though. There is a park on the bay at the foot of Hathaway bridge that is calm and shallow but I'm really not sure if you can take dogs there or not. You may give the Panama City leasure services department a call and ask. The park is Carl Gray Park.

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
166 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

Thanks for your response!

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

Not sure about this but St Andrews bay has a nice calm area near the jetties. Anyone know for sure? Also there's a place near Hathaway Bridge. I'm sorry, I can't think of the name of it but it's on the left BEFORE you cross teh bridge back into Panama City itself....or if you're coming from PC it'd be on the right after you cross the bridge, Beach side.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

Annabelle, you're a girl after my own heart! I would LOVE to take our dogs to PCB with us, but we've heard about how "dog unfriendly" it is. I know lots of people who have taken their dogs to St. George Island so we might try that next time. Please post if you've had any luck!

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
166 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

Thanks yall! I'll try to look into those places you metioned Karen.

Kelsum We usually go to Destin but it is very "dog unfriendly" We are actually going to PCB instead because I heard it was more dog friendly.

I haven't been to PCB but I was encouraged that they do have a separate doggie beach and a couple of parks where dogs are allowed.

We are renting a cottage from a private owner who happens to have dogs. She has given me some advice and said that she hasn't had any problems with PCB being dog friendly. I am hoping for the best! We have three furry babies going with us!

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

A German Shepherd is not a little doggy. The rules on Panama City Beach are no dogs allowed on the beach. Why would you go ahead and take them hoping it isn't so? There are designated areas for dogs for a reason. Others of us do not want doggie doodles to step in. I would leave the little darlins at home.

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
166 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

I appreciate your response Hawaii. However, I generally post questions expecting someone who actually has a helpful and relevant response to answer. Please do your research. There is a very "legal" doggie beach in PCB which is an area designated for dogs. That is why I "would go ahead and take them". My dogs will definitely not be staying at home. A responsible dog owner does not leave "dog doodles" for people to step in...Although it sounds like great karma for certain people. I suggest you stay clear of the dog designated areas including the doggie beach and several of the city parks.

Alexandria, Kentucky
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

I believe I read that some of the outdoor restaurants in PCB are now pet friendly. I think this is fairly new and you need to check with the particular restaurant to see if they are. We will be bringing our dog with us again this year when we come in August. He always travels with us. Not sure of a safe place for them to swim but hopefully you will find one.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

Another thing that I just remembered and wanted to mention to iluuvhawaii is that if nobody wants dogs around, why did Pier Park design their drinking fountains to accomodate our four legged friends? Yes, I noticed that in addition to an adult and child sized drinking fountain, there were also fountains near the ground to accomodate dogs. The first time I saw that I was taken aback, but one of the store owners mentioned how many people walk their dogs in that area. I thought that was very sweet!

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe places for dog to swim

PCB and Bay County have issues. next time ( or if it not too late) Consider Gulf county FL which is the county just east of Panama city. Dogs can have as much fun as they want. there is a funny sign from St. Joe Beach as you walk west and get to the Bay County line " no animals beyond this point" sitting in the middle of the sand. Cape San Blas PSJ are all dog friendly beaches. in Franklin County even more east with St George island is dog friendly. (The exception is in the state parks)

Dogs are to be on a leash but they can swim with a light weight leash on. but quite frankly I have never seen a patrol. Pick up is self patrolled no one there wants to loose a good thing.