We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to PCB Next Weekend

Springfield
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to PCB Next Weekend

It is almost here! So close, but still a week away.

I was wondering if anyone has traveled through Huntsville or Birmingham since the tornado destruction in those areas a few weeks ago. I am curious if we will run into fuel issues going through Alabama. We are coming from the Nashville area so Alabama is pretty much the route to travel. If you have traveled through that area in the last week, could you let me know if you had any problems getting fuel, etc. I know there are a lot of power lines down and a lot of people are still without electricity and everything else.

It kind of makes you feel guilty talking about and planning your trip when so many lives have been devastated by those terrible storms that blew through a couple of weeks ago.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to PCB Next Weekend

Hey Visitor---I'm from Gallatin so you've asked a good question for those of us in Nashville area.

I don't know anyone that has been down yet but I'm sure it's terrible. I thought about suggesting trying to go 24 to Chattanooga, to ATL and then over but areas of GA got hit too as well as southern AL--not as bad of course but still might be a factor. Mississippi would be way out of the way so not even worth considering. What I would suggest is make sure to fill up before you leave home and then in Southern TN you may want to top it off if you find a decent price on gas (ha that's a joke!). I have a 2001 Chrysler Town and country mini van and can make it from my house to Montgomery on a tank of gas. Maybe w/the top off, you'll be able to make it thru w/o any difficulties.

Good luck and have fun!

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to PCB Next Weekend

We came back from Panama City Beach last Sunday-had no problems getting fuel.

DID see tornado damage around B'ham and N of there.

Travel on I-65 was fine.

We took 231 on the way down, 331 on the way back, 331 was quicker and shorter for us-YMMV.

TN gas was 3.69-cheapest we found. 3.89-4.09 in PCB.

Mentioned in this post
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
5,202 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
Springfield
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to PCB Next Weekend

Thanks for the responses.

Karen, I thought that was what we would do, fill up in southern portion of TN before we get into Alabama. At least now gas prices are dropping a little. And I mean A LITTLE.

34oSc-Thank you!! That sheds a little light on the travel in Alabama. Just about the only way to go from TN anyway. We always take 331. Seems to be a little shorter than other routes.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to PCB Next Weekend

We live in Birmingham, there are only a few areas that you would have trouble getting gas. Interstate 65 is fine and you will have no problem traveling that way.

We are headed to PCB next week as well. I agree about the feeling guilty, but we have to live our lives and help when we can.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Traveling to PCB Next Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 21:19