We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help - guys trip - need advice

cincy
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Topic
help - guys trip - need advice

Some friends and I were considering a guys trip to either fort lauderdale or panama city beach sometime late summer, probably in either August or September.

We are in our early 30's, some married and some single. Are there enough things to do for a group of guys in this age range and demographic in siesta key or would fort lauderdale be better? Is it dead that time of year?

The single guys wil be interested in the bar scene and nightlife....are there many tiki bars or other beach front bars, good dive bars?

What about Hotels? Looking for something on the beach and in walking distance to entertainment/nightlife. WHat would your top hotel reccos be? What about houses for rent, would this be worthwile or not?

Lastly, are there many decent golf courses, any with views of the ocean?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help - guys trip - need advice

There are plenty of places to go have a beer or a drink. As far as real nightlife or bar scene Fort Lauderdale would be your best bet! Friday and Saturday night will be ok in PCB. You can find some local music and have a drink. If you want dance clubs, there are 2 large night clubs right beside each other, Club LeVela and Spinakers. When we have been there in Oct neither has anything going on at night during the week, only weekends, I figure Aug/Spet will be same. There is Tootsies at Pier Park. It is a fun Bar with mostly country music. I guess it just depends on what type of nightlife you are looking for.

There are golf courses, I have never played but I do not think they have water views. The one at Bay Point could possibly have bay views.

I would go with a condo over a hotel. You have more room and it will cost about the same, We have rented houses before. They are usually much more than a condo so we always go with a condo. Check out Aqua, Calypso,and Treasure Island to start with. Those are my top picks from where we have stayed.

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help - guys trip - need advice

I totally agree w/bstman. If you go toward the end of August and into September your crowds in PCB are going to be way down...which is good and bad. Kids will be back in school which is a good thing but so will college students and single moms that have take care of their kids. There are a couple nice golf courses (from what I hear) on PCB and then the of course there's deep sea fishing, I think the majority of the restaurants will still be open but may have shorter hours of operation.

Ft Lauderdale might be better if you're looking for true nightlife and partying. Of course the catch about Ft Lauderdale is most of the hotels are across the street from the beach--or at least the ones I've stayed at are. But it is further south and likely to have more people. Also consider the fact that you will have people coming in and out from cruises so may want a pre or post stay, as well as folks coming in to Miami--including Europeans that love to travel to the USA.

You have alot of great options. If you need any other suggestions, send me a PM and I'll try to help.

Karen

3. Re: help - guys trip - need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2012, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach