We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route from I-65 to PCB

stl
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Route from I-65 to PCB

We are driving down this weekend from St. Louis and would like to know the fastest way to take once we exit off I-65 after Montgomery. Last year we took 331 to 87 to 81 to 79 to 98. It was long and a horrible drive in the middle of nowhere so we would like to avoid this route. Is there a better way to take? We are looking at taking 231 to Troy then 167 until it turns into 79 then hits 98.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

We are looking at taking 231 to Troy then 167 until it turns into 79 then hits 98.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES just went this way and was perfect.

Also note the best way thru Montgomery: Prevents going thru the city some.

Exit 171 off I-65 and take I-85 east to exit 9 Taylor Rd. Take this for 2-3 miles south. Turn left and connect 231/ 87 south to 167 to 79 south. Arrival on W end of Panama City Beach.

edit: when you turn left off Taylor Rd you will be on 231 S. Take this thru the West/South end of Troy where you'll pick up 87....Don't take the first 87 on the north end of Troy as it routes you thru the city some.

Florida
Level Contributor
640 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

Downtown 42 is correct. This is the very best way to go. We travel this way everytime we go to Montgomery.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 14:18
SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

I dunno, for me the fastest is '65 -231-98

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

231 thru Dothan can be bad with traffic, and after lot's of research, the locals from Montgomery travel the 231/167/79 route.

IN
Level Contributor
457 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

I also avoid the 65...231...98 route. Dothan was a bear to get through and then 231 was bumper to bumper. I ended up getting off at I-10 and took it over to 79.

If driving, I will only use the 65...231...167/79 route and I go through Montgomery the way that Downtown described.

stl
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

Thanks everyone!!

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

Hey Luvthebeach---what time of year did you go down when the traffic was bumper to bumer on 231? I've never expereinced that but know Dothan can be a pain in the tail. Taking the girls down in July for the first time since their Dad died almost 2 yrs ago and trying to aviod all stress possible. Gonna have enough of it dealing w/2 teenagers, a pre-teen and tons of memories. I'm seriously considering leaving Friday, overnight south of B'ham and head out Sat morning just to make it different.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

We are here now and took 231. There were several constructions zones that slowed us down a little but not to the point where I would have avoided it. We never came to a stop always moving, just slowed down for the workers. We drove on a Wednesday so if you're driving on a weekend day your experience may vary.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
354 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

Another route you can take is to go I65 all the way to Georgianna exit (this is @ 60 miles south of Montgomery) take Hwy 55 south from here (toward Andalusia) this will connect with 331 in Florala, 331 takes you all the way to 98 from here- it puts you west of Panama City Beach, but you get lots of Interstate/4 lane on this route (55 is a hurricane evac route)

We use this route and the 231/167 route (from Troy) mentioned above when we drive down from Birmingham.

IN
Level Contributor
457 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Route from I-65 to PCB

Karen,

I just now saw your question. I went down late December (off-season). I realize there could have been more traffic with kids being out of school but I'd hate to think what it would be like during spring break and the summer.

Besides, I stay over on the west end anyway. Truthfully, I hate driving that distance so most of the time I fly.