We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

panama city or destin for Mom and teenage daughter getaway

Plano, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
panama city or destin for Mom and teenage daughter getaway

Any suggestions would be appreciated on which location would be a nicer destination for a mom and daughter getaway with nice beaches, shopping, water activities. Also need suggestion for a nice hotel in destin or panama city.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: panama city or destin for Mom and teenage daughter getaway

I would suggest PCB over Destin....but that's because I am not very familiar with the Destin area. I have been a couple times, but have never stayed. I was in Destin mostly for shopping.

Both have nice beaches since they share the same coastline. PCB has Pier Park which is less than 5 years old. There are plenty of stores to keep you busy. Destin, on the other hand, has an outlet mall. It has some nicer stores as well. The outlet mall is called Silver Sands Outlet.

I can't speak for Destin, but PCB has tons of water activities. Boat rentals, jet ski rentals, fishing charters, boat tours....the list goes on and on. There is also parasailing as well.

My family and I always stay at the Sunset Inn in PCB. It's not as nice as the newer places, but we like it. It has a pool, decent sized rooms, it's clean and comfortable.

My vote would be for PCB, but I'm sure you won't go wrong with either place you end up choosing. Have fun!!!!! :)

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: panama city or destin for Mom and teenage daughter getaway

I vote for PCB simply b/c I know it better than Destin. It's a little more laid back too. Great restaurants, awesome condos/hotels directly on the beach, lots of fun things to do and shopping in Pier Park is fun. However if you're more into the shopping, Destin is suppose to be the best. I just prefer PCB. If I want to shop I can do that here in Nashville--I come down for the beach and the seafood---namely shrimp and crab legs!!! YUM!

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
166 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: panama city or destin for Mom and teenage daughter getaway

I usually go to Destin but went to PCB for the first time. I enjoy both.

Traffic is much worse in Destin. A bit more upscale in Destin.

Depends on what you want to do really. There is an upscale outlet mall in Destin as well as the Destin Commons which is a large outdoor mall/movie theater, etc. Pier Park is in PCB which is their outdoor shopping/restaurants/etc.

Both have good restaurants although I prefer Destin restaurants. Both have beautiful beaches, watersports, boating, etc. Destin has the Harborwalk which are restaurants/shopping on the harbor. Destin has the best view over the Destin bridge where you can see the harbor and bayside with Crab Island. Destin also has Village at Baytowne.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either choice. Just depends on what activities you want to do.

4. Re: panama city or destin for Mom and teenage daughter getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 15:15