We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

My husband and I have been here for 5 days and so far have been ripped off just about everywhere. We're seasoned travelers (Central America, Europe, Middle East, etc), and I have NEVER encountered people as unwelcoming, and dishonest. I understand this is a tourist destination and things generally cost a bit more, but people seem to be actively trying to pull one over on us at any chance they get. ($10 for a 1.2 mile cab ride?Really?!) If you're a resident here, I would strongly recommend taking some lessons in basic human kindness. I have never felt like more of an unwelcome outsider in my entire life. I don't mean to be insulting, but I simply expected to be greeted with the same level of respect that I give to others. :-(

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
74 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

Hello Wanderlust,

Not trying to be disrespectful to your post, but are you sure you are in Panama City Beach, FL???? I have been going to PCB all my life and I have never encountered anything like you describe in your post!. This just amazes me! I really hope your vacation improves and you enjoy your time at the most beautiful beach in the world!

Cindy

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
51 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

WOW! I'm so sorry you and yours has had a bad experience in PCB. I've had my bad moments in PCB but, they are few and far between. I'm flabbergasted by your post because it's just not the PCB I've grown to love so much. But, vacations do differ with people. I hope your experience in PCB turns around, I really hope so. I just hate hearing people having a terrible vacation. No one should deal with what you have on a VACATION.

Wishing you and your husband the best!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

You have traveled to " (Central America, Europe, Middle East, etc)", you're "seasoned travelers" and you haven't learned to ask the taxi fare before entering the taxi? This is your second post on TA and they are both scathing remarks about PCB?

I guess I've been lucky.

I haven't encountered what you describe in my 40 years of visiting the area.

Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

Ugh, can't even escape the gutter comments on Trip Advisor.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

Don't know what David is talking about "gutter comments"? But Wanderlust I really hope you give PCB another chance. The hubby and I have been going here for years and love the area. People are friendly and I've never felt as though I was overcharged for anything. In fact we don't even take our food down with us because the prices are very comparable or cheaper than the Atlanta area. Don't let one cab ride (because that seems what you've been upset about in your two different posts) damper a good time or not let you see how great PCB really is. There's more to the area and the people than the cab fares.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

One cab ride seems a very flimsy example of why you're not enjoying an entire city. You reap what you sow...

Springfield...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

So odd, because I like the others have always found PCB to be a very relaxed, friendly place to visit. Main reason we continue to go back year after year. Never had any problems whatsoever with getting ripped off or feeling taken advantage of. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience!

Thomaston
Destination Expert
for Panama City Beach
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

My family has been coming to PCB for years and we have never encountered the unfriendly people you seem to have come in contact with. I am so sad for you and hope your trip improves. PCB is really a great place to visit and I hope you will give it a second chance.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

I have been vacationing in PCB for over 50 years, we also went to Ft Walton and returned with our 3 young sons and now 2 growns sons and DILs. We love it there and will continue to rent beach front homes and do all the area has to offer.

Of course we are always in our personal car and it was it easy to get about. It is much busier traffic wise but we stay at quiet west end Laguna Beach and have no troubles there.

Did you rent a condo or are a you in a hotel? Is it beachfront? What area are you staying? Did all that turn out fine for you? Seriously, I want you to have wonderful time so you will want to return.

IN
Level Contributor
457 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it just me, or is everyone here out to rip you off?

I've been coming to Panama City Beach for about 10 years and I've never experienced anything like you've described. Everyone has been warm & friendly and I'm treated like family. I've never even thought prices were high.....especially considering PCB is a tourist destination

I'd also be interested to hear what other areas you feel you've been "ripped off". The cab fare does seem a little excessive but I don't think one cab ride warrants a statement that everyone is out to rip you off.