We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches closed...?

Level Contributor
444 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches closed...?

I heard some news saying beaches were closed due to what had been going on in Alabama. Four drownings in 2 days...Anyone know anything about it? Someone else mentioned a hurricane...

New Albany,IN
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches closed...?

We are here now. The beaches are open but we were asked to stay out of the water. People kept getting in. It's hard to keep people out of the ocean. The good thing is the last two days we've been allowed back in.

Level Contributor
444 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches closed...?

Hmm, a bit scary. I always worry about how far we should let the kids go out. We love the ocean but we dont live by one. Our knowledge & experience are limited. How has the water been? We will be there in two weeks, water & weather may change by then, I know, just curious.

Columbus, Georgia
Level Contributor
355 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches closed...?

I talked to a resident yesterday who said that people are entering the water when double red flags are up. This is not only dangerous but against the law. I think caution and common sense should help with the decision on whether or not to swim.

Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches closed...?

On red flag days the phrase is "knee deep is too deep."

Right now the waves have calmed down so it's pretty flat right now and the flags are yellow. The most dangerous times are when the waves have kicked up and are breaking close in due to a storm going through, and a few days AFTER THAT when the waves are subsiding but the rip current conditions have been primed by the previous surf conditions.

Aside from looking for the flags, you can get current flag status on the web or even by getting daily texts to your phone.

If you're not that familiar with ocean swimming, and you're wondering how far to let your kids go out -- do them and you a favor. Get them boogie boards with leashes and insist they take them out with them. Or they also make these belt/fanny pack inflatable vests that stand up paddlers use. They don't get in the way and are pretty decent for self rescue if ever needed.

I don't know why more people don't take something that they can float with in the water with them. I sink like a rock if I'm not moving.

Level Contributor
444 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches closed...?

That is great info. Im paranoid, Im afraid their cord will get stuck on something or tangled. Ever since I saw the movie Blue Crush :( I will check out the fanny pack deal, wander what its called...

Level Contributor
444 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches closed...?

I can't believe people would do that. Ugh. It is not worth it!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,124 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches closed...?

better to be attached to something that floats than something that sinks.

Level Contributor
444 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches closed...?

Found them but they are too expensive for one trip to the beach. We have three kids. We will watch the flags etc & use boogie boards.

9. Re: Beaches closed...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 06:17