We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

Eminence, Kentucky
1 post
Save Topic
Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

I have read many posts and comments lately about the best route to take when driving to PCB, FL. I have been a frequent vacationer to PCB for the last several years and after having driven way too many miles out of the way, we found a clear route that is so much easier than what most of the internet directions give. You can actually access I-65 from most other areas if you can just map your way there, you will not need all those extra exits and turns. The following link will take you to mapquest which gives the simplest directions:

www.mapquest.com/maps…

If the link does not work by clicking on it, just copy/paste. I hope this helps those who need more concise directions. Good luck and have a safe trip. We always enjoy our stay there.

KY
Level Contributor
81 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

We take I-65 South to Exit 114 toward Andalusia, Alabama. From there, we take AL-55 to 331 and follow it all the way in to the coast. This is by far our favorite route to take for lack of traffic, stop lights and beautiful scenery. There is a town right at the Florida/Alabama stateline that has a nice lake if you want to stop and picnic along the way. I have been traveling to the Panhandle off and on for the last 30 years and have not used any other route since we first tried this one a few years ago.

Two Rivers...
Level Contributor
66 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

231 sucks. Just got home from our 19 hour ride back. Roads in Illinois,Indiana,Kentucky had semi tire trapenal all over. Driving all night I had to hit 15 or so. They should ban recaps on semis.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

I drove to PCB for the first time ever last June (from Cincinnati) and all I remember is getting off at Taylor RD via 85 and going through the middle of nowhere. I do remember being on 87 because my son, who was 3 at the time, had to make a stop and we stopped at the Zion Chapel school parking lot.

I will tell you that whatever route does take you through 87 is quick. We left on a Saturday was expecting a lot of traffic etc and we breezed through. Even with a three year old and making stops we made it in just under 12 hours. We are leaving on the 14th to go again and I'll be looking up the same route. It was 2 lane the whole way until we got onto 79 where it turned into two both ways... Make sure you have gas and stop at Starbucks when you get off at Taylor Rd. I remember my wife wanting to stop at Starbucks and I said... Oh I'm sure there will be another one down the road... that meant Pier Park. I do think this year I am going to try and stop at the Publix or other grocery store around the Taylor Rd area to avoid that mess Sat evening in PCB.

I remember heading back and just following the crowd and getting on 65 North south of the 85 interchange and the traffic was bad, but lots of nice fruit stands on the way.

Panama City Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

We moved from Louisville to PCB and so travel back and forth MANY times. This is the EXACT route that we take. It is the fastest ( and easiest ) that we have found. See May 22, 2014 post by Bo W for the directions.

Edited: 18 November 2014, 20:38
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
494 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

PCBCheri, your post kind of makes it sound like you agree with the original poster. I'm pretty sure you meant that your exact route is the same as Bo W. That is the way that I go as well. I've tried other routes but always come back to the Taylor/231/167/Enterprise/79 route. The 331 route through Opp is right about the same time, but since Google and Mapquest show that route now, I'll keep using 167 to stay away from traffic produced by those services.

Bethalto IL
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

I like Bo W's way myself. The only thing we miss about 231 is the free juice at the FLA welcome center. I've never really minded the traffic in Troy or Enterprise when compared to Dothan. The way we time our trip the Zaxby's in Enterprise is always our lunch stop.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

I drive from Louisville and prefer 331 to 231! Much quicker

18. Re: Best Driving Directions from (North) Louisville, KY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach