We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

!!Beware Alvin's Island (the volcano), trashy and deceiving!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
!!Beware Alvin's Island (the volcano), trashy and deceiving!

So for 20 years I've gone to PCB, and have stopped in Alvin's Island (the big store), now with my kids, and this time is the final!!! To start off with, the staff tried to short me $20, and this has happened before in previous years, so count your change well if you are using cash. Second, the alligators are kept in horrid conditions, minimal water, trash in the tank...I'm not a PETA person, but I'm contacting someone on this, none of the aquariums seemed to work correctly and looked neglected. Last, the place is getting trashy, broken, and did not have any of the atmosphere it used to have, none at all! Very disappointed. I would suggest trying one of the other places for souvenirs.

Thomaston
Destination Expert
for Panama City Beach
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: !!Beware Alvin's Island (the volcano), trashy and deceiving!

I was last in there two years ago. At that time, I thought the alligator tank was kind of dirty but thought it might be that no one had come to clean it that day. Sad to think it is still like that!

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: !!Beware Alvin's Island (the volcano), trashy and deceiving!

We went to the one close to Thomas Drive, and the employees there were from Russia, and maybe other countries, I asked a question to where something might be, and this one girl could not speak english! She just smile at me and said something I couldn't understand and walked off!

Alabama
Level Contributor
655 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: !!Beware Alvin's Island (the volcano), trashy and deceiving!

I definitely agree. I was in the "mountain" Store this spring...for the first time in several years, and was surprised at how much it had declined. There are places in theparking lot that arean't even passable due to enormous holes and apparently downed cables...???

It's just a broken down souvenier place now...certainly no attraction. I hate to say it, but it's time for the mountain to live on in our postcard collections and clear the way for some fresh development. It obviously died when Miracle Strip closed and the action moved to Pier Park.

Indiana
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: !!Beware Alvin's Island (the volcano), trashy and deceiving!

it wasn't the best 3 yrs ago when we were there

Cincinnati, Ohio...
Level Contributor
10 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: !!Beware Alvin's Island (the volcano), trashy and deceiving!

This place is a train wreck.. Not only do they have one alligator they have a few birds and fish. The conditions are in definite need of improvement and they should find a new home for the alligator as the living conditions are disgusting.

Overall a hodgepodge of crap.

6. Re: !!Beware Alvin's Island (the volcano), trashy and deceiving!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 05:16