We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

Wondering what the beach is like now near HI Sunspree?

Last year when we went to our condo--Casa Blanca--the beach was FANTASTIC! There was a new sandbar that had been formed in front of our condo where you could find TONS of sand dollars and see the sting rays swimming and playing around. So, for those that have been to PBC and stayed near the Holiday Inn, is the sand bar still there?

TIA!

Karen

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

We stayed at Long Beach in 05 and its like 4 condos up from the hi sunspree. We walked to the hi at night one time. Sorry stayed on west end this year, for the last time, and can't give more info on that.

Good luck! Is that where you're staying? I bet its nice. I like the hotels a little better than the condos because the condos turn all the lights off at night and you can't see the beach. For someone like me whos hubby doesn't like to go, that isn't good. If you stay there, let me know how it goes, for future reference!

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

Boys---Our condo is The Casa Blanca which is located next door to

the HI. We haven't stayed there but have been there a few times when we've had friends to go down when we were and they'd stay at the HI while we stayed at Casa Blanca. It is a very nice resort, nice pool, nice beach etc. Room rates vary between $150 up to $300 a night. That's WAY out of my budget for a simple hotel room.

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

We've stayed at the casa blanca when I was a little girl. I hope it stays. Is it still pretty nice?

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

Yea we like it. Because of the way the hotel sits, it doesn't face the beach so you don't have a view of the beach from your room unless you're in one of the end units. Other than that, I think it's the perfect resort. The pool has been sealed again and painted, the parking lot has been bricked instead of paved which makes it ALOT nicer. Doesn't get hot like asphalt so you can actually walk across the parking lot from your room to the pool barefoot. The kitchen was upgraded alot several years ago to a full size refrigerator instead of a mini-fridge, has dishwasher, stove, MW, etc.

We have seen alot of changes around CB in the last 24 yrs. When we first bought our condo, there was a museum next door to it that had a red fire engine on the roof. Where HI is now it was a big open space w/a concrete slab. DH says at one time there was a Holiday Inn there but one of the hurricanes came through and blew it away. 98 was straight instead of curving around the way it does now....the road that runs behind Burger King and in front of Ocean Towers is the original 98. I guess the folks who built Edgewater needed/wanted more hotel space closer to the beach so just changed the road. Pretty cool to go back and look at some of our pictures from the early 80s and see the changes.

We hope that it's not sold out and torn down for a high rise. Would be really sad.

Woodstock, GA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

Could you tell me if there are plenty of restaurants right on the beach, within walking distance of the Holiday Inn? Also, how about shops, etc? We are a going next week with our two teenage daughters and are hoping there are places right around that they can wander off to. Are there fun beach bars too?

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

Chis-best----Montego Bay is across from Holiday Inn in the Edgewater Shopping Center. It's pretty good altho I haven't been there in several years.

Sweet Basil is also in the same area. It's actually in the front of the Shopping Center in it's own building. I've never eaten there b/c DH doesn't eat Italian food (how un-American can you be?!?!) but I've heard it;s good.

Salty's was a GREAT beach bar w/GOOD food, Fantastic strawberry daquiries and good music located between my condo (Casa Blanca) and Bikini Beach but it was torn down about 3 yrs ago -- make room for another Condo I guess. (BOOOOO.....hiss..........) Of course Burger King is direclty in front of HI and I think there's a Taco Bell and/or McDonald's pretty close too. Other than that, I honestly can't think of another restaurant w/in walking distance. ....

I was just looking in my brochure for PCB. There's an All American Diner that gives an address of 10590 Front Beach Rd. HI is in the 11000 block of FBR so you might be able to walk it if you really wanted. I'm not sure it's worth the effort tho.

Bishops Buffet is at 12628 but I've heard it's not been very good lately. We haven't been in 3 or 4 years.

That's pretty much it. If you want to go to restaurants that you'd have to drive to but don't want to fight the traffic, take Middle Beach Rd to get around. SO MUCH EASIER!!

Sorry wasn't able to help more. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good Luck & have fun on the beach.

Karen

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

We ate at sweet basils back in 92 and it was really good. Almost Idenical to the Olive Garden on the menu. They also had the All you can eat salad back then, don't know about now, but I remember it was goooood.

Woodstock, GA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

Thanks for all the info. I was really hoping there were restaurants/bars right on the beach, like a Saltys. Are there other hotels in a better location? I have a couple of days left to change my reservations if need be. We spend the days on the beach and at the pool, but in the evening we like to be able to walk to dinner or somewhere to have a drink, away from the hotel.

Karen, I think I read in one of your posts that you are a travel agent. I used to be a corporate travel agent until a few years ago, so you can understand how I like to know all the details of where I am going! Thanks in advance for any other hotel or location suggestions.

9. Re: What's the beach like near HI Sunspree?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 18:16